Chapter 83 - Remnant

After the battle, the Akkorokamui's severed tentacles continued to flutter through the snow field. Emília kicks some of them with disgust. Marjolin explains that they need to collect the "bodies" in order not to attract other creatures.

In front of her, small octopus' legs, a few centimeters thick, shake; a few steps ahead, Amadeo, distracted with his duty. "Hehe", she has an evil idea: She takes some of the detached limbs, sneaks up to the boy and, with a quick movement, tucks them inside his coat.

_ AAAAGHHH!!!! _ Amadeo jumps and struggles _ E-EMÍLIA!!! _ He gets rid of the tentacles, but the disgusting and humid sensation of them persists _ HOW CRUEL!!!

_ Ahahaha!! Stop it! I'm being nice! Some people like this kind of thing...! _ Smiles.

_ EMÍLIA!!! _ He covers his face and strides away _ You're mad!!!!

She continues to laugh.

Inside the fort, each of the Unit's members separates to perform new tasks: Pema and Marjolin went to repair the security net cables; Weimin fills in the paperwork; Sayuri will take care of Joi; the twins went to sleep (probably).

In the meeting room of the highest floor, Emília, Amadeo, Johan and Yomi sit in front of a kotatsu modified to accommodate a Yeti and a Centaur. The Paragon snuggles in her sit and unties her gigantic black hair, brushing it with her fingers. Johan feels envious. So, so envious. She says:

_ Now that you've seen how my Unit works and everyone's busy, it's time for us to talk. _ She interlaces her fingers _ In the last few months, some strange things have been happening around here. The worst is that it seems that I'm the only one that realized, which worries me even more.

_ What kind of "things"? _ Emília asks, much calmer than usual.

_ Do you know the "bodies" of the monsters we "hid"? They're simply disappearing. No animal around here can open the lock and take pieces of sea monster away. And yet, they're vanishing in a blink of an eye... _ She puts some papers on the table _ Another thing is that some resources we requested are also gone. Several things haven't arrived or just disappeared. The cables of the containment net, for example...

_ This is very weird. _ Amadeo takes the papers.

_ To top it off, I feel like I'm being watched all the time. Something strange is going on. _ She bites her lips _ Until a few months ago, I was sure I could trust all my crew, but now...

Everyone is silent. The three with a sharp Sphere of the Spirit agree that the atmosphere of that place is dense and suffocating. After a few moments, Emília says:

_ Okay, I understand that you're worried about all this, but what do we have to do with it, En?

_ I already talked to Ammy about it, but I think what is happening here is the work of a Witch. What happened in Meigdan too.

_ And then you called out the two of us who already know about the "hidden Witch" to help, without the superiors knowing about it, is that so? How bold of you, En. _ The redhead replies _ I'm sure what happened in Meigdan was a Witch's doing. Deodoro too. _ She turns to Amadeo _ That's why he went to Sarauniya. _ She puts her elbows on the table _ What's your theory about this Witch?

_ She's here. _ Yomi replies _ I'm sure there's an imposter on my team.

_ That's why you wanted outsiders to help... _ Amadeo complements.

_ Not only that... _ Yomi clenches her fists _ I need people strong enough to help me kill a Witch when the time comes. I also need good heads to help me find out who it is and what they're planning. Obviously, I'm not counting on you for on this, Ferner.