I. First and Last

Masa Masahiro

Growing up from a tropical country, I wasn't told that when it snows, it becomes so quiet that you can almost hear yourself breathe. The world around me came in slow motion as I watched the tiny bits of snowflakes falling from the night sky. It was one time in my life that I know I am alive.

Still alive lying here in the cold pavement outside a famous convenient store on a not so busy street in the City of Sapporo. I was shot cold by an angry Japanese teenager after he went screaming Mark's name on my face. I don't speak Japanese unlike my twin brother so I can only make out his name being mentioned. Damn you Mark! What did you do this time?

The snow kept on coming down my face, mocking me for this biggest irony of my life. I came here not only to see my stupid brother. I also have dreamt of seeing the snow since I was a kid. I have never seen one after living my whole life in a South East Asian Country of Thailand. And here I am, seeing it for the first and last time.

Apart from the gun shot wound that must have punctured my internal organs and was now bleeding profusely, the feeling of numbness and coldness in my extremities were only some of my problems at the moment. Was I under dressed in this type of weather? I remember putting more than 2 layers of clothes earlier. Why do I feel so cold then? It was at this moment I know I was dying.

I ignored all the chaos around me. I have to think straight. Now that I accepted my fate, what are the things I should do before my heart finally stops beating? What are things to consider before leaving the world of the living? I can't have unfinished business in this world. I will end up like a wandering ghost I have seen in tv series. I will roam the earth lonely until I become a vengeful spirit.

Ugh. Why am I so stupid? Think Masa! Think!

But even thinking alone was getting more difficult every passing minute as the the blood that supplies oxygen in my brain was draining out of my body continuously. I can't even remember why I am here in Japan. I know I have to talk something to my twin brother. But what was it again? Damn it!

I began to recite the English alphabet in my mind. Maybe I will remember something after getting on each letters.

"A, B , C .." College! Because I'm a diligent student, I still think of my studies even at the verge of death. I wanted to be doctor so that I will be able to cure my own mother. I'm on my second year already. Just four more years to go. Ugh.

"D, E, F.G..H..I" I continued humming to myself. More people were gathering around me this time. They were gawking down at me. I can't understand a single word they are saying. Does anyone here speak Thai? Or maybe a little English instead? Ah, whatever. They can't save me now anyway. Too late for that.

"...I, J, K, L, M.." Mæ! How will mom feel if she she knew I died in Japan? Oh no. Mark! You need to do something you asshole!

I heard an ambulance coming nearer. "N, O, P" Pee? P who exactly? "Q, R, S, T.."

"Oniisama! Neh, Masa Oniisama!" I saw a split image of my self shouting above my face as I felt being hauled to a stretcher. My stupid younger brother's crying face didn't move away from mine. It was so nostalgic seeing him right now. It's like seeing a mirror in my death bed.

"Masa Oniisama! Don't sleep nah? Don't close your eyes!" How dare he commands me. He refuses to call me Pee for the last 10 years insisting the Japanese endearment for older brother sounded more cooler than the Thai one.

"College of Medi" I strained every muscle on my mouth just to tell him this. He looked confused but bring his ears near my mouth.

"Huh? College what? What does it even mean Niisama?" Who said identical twins can communicate through telepathic abilities? One big MYTH! Sharing the same chromosomes with this guy was pretty useless! I tried again.