III. A Ghost

Vee Vivis

I was in the pub with my friends for another drinking session to celebrate our gathering in the first day of another year in our college life. I was supposed to enjoy this night that I am finally a free man once again after breaking up with that younger guy named Masa Masahiro.

But the opposite was happening instead. I can't get him out of my mind.

"Vee! What's wrong with that long face of yours? I thought you are finally happy to be single again." Phailin, one of the girls from the group leered at me. She was one of those friends who rooted for Masa and me. When I told them earlier that we were finally over, Phailin almost cried in disbelief.

"Right! You have been waiting for this moment since the first day of your relationship with that nong right? Why do you look like your broken hearted? Are you finally having feelings for nong Masa?" Rune who sits beside me asked while repleneshing my empty glass with another round of beer. I didn't answer him nor Phailin. I just emptied my newly refilled glass in my mouth like I was so thirsty for it.

I don't even understand why I am acting this way.

When that nong and I started dating, it was just like being friends but with a little responsibility towards each other. When I take him along with me to meet my friends, I can sometimes forget he was on the table with us. I eat together with him during breaks out of obligation. Everything I did with him, I only did out of obligation and not because I like or love him.

After a month of doing that senseless and tiring routine, I grew weary and I started to feel pity for the younger person. I pity him because he was being so patient with me. I know he can feel how I was treating him. But he chose to stay with me still hoping that someday, I would finally look at him the way he looks at me.

The way he stared at me this morning was a totally new experience. It's as if he's a different person. His eyes no longer shines with innocence and glee. It was replaced with an eerie shade of contempt and grief, like the eyes of a person who have undergone a series of unfortunate events in his life.

I don't think the break up alone did that thing to his eyes. Something must have happened in Japan.

"Speak of the devil Vee! Have you seen your facebook yet?" Luke asked making everybody in the table dived down to their mobile phones. I did the same.

Masa Masahiro
2min

Change his relationship status to SINGLE.

Jane: Is this really happening? Like for real, real? 🥺😖

Pran: Single and ready to mingle with ____?🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻🤔

Masa Masahiro: haha... I told you already Pran! Anyone will do. 😉

Karl: Why? What did Vee do?

Phailin: Nooooooo...Nong Masa.😭😖

VMfc: You too look so good together. Why break up?

I almost slammed my phone down the table and poured more beer to my glass, gulping it immediately to calm down my nerves. I am getting angry and I don't like feeling this way.

The table grew silent as my friends noticed the sudden change in my mood.

"Vee? Are you ok? You are not affected by this right?" Nin who is the other girl apart from Phailin was the one who was brave enough to ask.

"The hell I am!" I forcefully bring my glass down the table spilling it's contents around my friends. I inhaled deeply and leaned back at the couch, closing my eyes, trying to relax. I felt someone patting my shoulders but I ignored it.