Special: Understanding Masa niisama (Part 1)

*2 years ago from the last chapter

Masahiro Masa

College! The foundation stone of one's future! What can go wrong when you are at your first step to adulthood?

Well pretty much everything if you ask me.

[Ne niisama? Do we really have to take up Medicine? I mean we both know we are not financially constricted in terms of the Mae's medical expenses. Dad's little company is doing fine here in Japan. Don't you find it a little extra to become doctors ourselves? I mean...]

Mark, my little twin brother who was calling me straight from Japan laid his complaints about the subject of our concern at the moment. We have agreed on this and yet with only a week left before the term starts, he still dared to negotiate a way out.

"No! Straight no! Period. I'm tired of this."

[But niisamaaa....] Mark wailed from the other line trying to act his usual bratly self. He's the younger one so he always sees to it he gets spoiled in any way by me.

"Not listening to you anymore! I can't believe you are trying to break your word Mark! You promised to me! We'd do this together you said!" I snapped out at him. He must be thankful that I am not on a video chat with him instead. It always terrifies him to see me getting angry like this.

[...] It became quite for few seconds before I heard him sighing deeply.

I'd be a liar if I say I haven't think of a way out to all of this responsibility myself. Like Mark, I also wanted to be something else. I wanted to study Architecture. I am deeply fascinated with the idea of living an "aunthentic life". A freedom to express and live my own sense of creativity. Every person has their own dream house in some point of their life. I am that one person who would see to it that my ideal type of dream house would exactly satisfy my desire. And the only way to do that is to try and build it myself.

I know Mark is the same. He doesn't express directly what he really wanted to do but in the future but I know he has been in the entertainment industry for some time now. I'm sure it could be anything but a doctor. It's not that he's afraid of blood or some gory stuff alike, but having been tormented in his past by an accident that caused him to almost bleed to death, he had been avoiding anything that would remind him of the incident.

But when mother was diagnosed in her late stage of cancer, we came into solution that would benefit her in the process. It's same with the idea of building your own dream house but into a more responsible and adult-like perspective. If we wanted our mother to have the best treatment in the medical field, we have to be in that field ourselves.

Sometimes I pity my brother for dragging him into this ideals of mine. No matter how I covered it to him for this past decade, mom's affection towards Mark became more and more un-pronounced. She merely asks anything that has to do with her other son. It started when Mark was taken away by our father in Japan. Mom has never been the same since then. It's like she's trying to forget that another son of her's existed. She never made an effort to get in touch with Mark. She avoided every attempt of mine to get her engaged in talking with Mark every time we video chat.

At first Mark asked me as to why our own mother does this to her own son. I kept on making excuses then telling him mom was hust too tired or busy with her work. Later on, when I ran out of this pony excuses, Mark himself stopped asking. The matter was unspokenly buried at the back of our not so identical minds.

Truly it was unfair on Mark's part when I suddenly pushed this idea on him. He was truly remarkable for accepting this task in the first place without counting the treatment of neglect he received from our mother. I know his whinings are simply to annoy me. Growing up in Japan under the supervision of our father who was far way stricter than our mother in terms of discipline, I can tell that Mark is much more reliable and prudent behind his braty facade.