ʀᴇꜱᴄᴜᴇ » ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 29 (ᴘᴀʀᴛ 2)

We started chasing Reiner

"He's not fast enough to escape! We'll catch up!" Jean spoke confidently. He was riding his horse, Anyo. A light bay, almost red horse with blue eyes and a unique mark on it's face.
"This time, I won't hesitate. I'll kill them both. I swear! And if Ymir gets in my way too, she's asking for it. No matter what it takes... I will!" Mikasa had a determined look on her face.
"Don't be too reckless. You need to think of the things you're doing." Captain Levi glanced at Mikasa.

After a few minutes of chasing, we finally decided to go onto Reiner with our ODM gear. One comrade's grapple hook line was caught by Reiner, and he threw him to the ground, and he got crushed. My grapple hook connected onto Reiner, and it propelled me forward. I used my momentum to swing around, cutting one of Ymir's eyes. Mikasa went after Berthdolt and Eren, but they moved out of the way.

I took notice and in the speed of light grappled onto Reiner's chest and swung myself down in attempt to kill Bertholdt. I was almost positive I was going to get him, that was until Reiner brought his fists up, blocking Bertholdt and Eren. My blades broke, and I landed onto his fists as I noticed Mikasa death staring Bertholdt through an open spot.

Ymir suddenly shot her hand forward, in attempt to grab me or Mikasa. She missed Mikasa, and I quickly jumped to the side on Reiner's other shoulder. I noticed Mikasa go at Ymir, and all of the sudden Historia jumped out of no where and protected Ymir.

"Wait, Mikasa!" She screamed frantically and put her hand out.

Mikasa moved out of the way and landed on Reiner's head.

"Don't kill Ymir!" Historia shouted.
"That all depends on her! What will it be? I'll kill everyone who gets in the way, so choose!" Mikasa looked down at Historia.
"But wait! Ymir will be killed unless she does what Bertholdt and Reiner say! She doesn't have a choice!" She explained.

"There's only so many lives I care about. My enemies made that deciding six years ago. So, you're mistaken to seek any compassion from me. Because right now, I'm all out of time and room in my heart to care. Christa... do you pick Eren or Ymir? Which is it? Will you get in my way, too?!" Mikasa went on, and then Ymir lifted her hand up and was about to kill Mikasa.

"Wait, Ymir! Don't fight back! You'll die! Don't move!" Historia reassured Ymir as I stood on Reiner's shoulder.

This is going to be tricky. If they have Eren blocked in there, with the hands that are made out of armor, we can't reach him. But we can-

"Lilly!" I suddenly zoned back into reality, and saw Captain Levi calling out my name. I quickly stepped down to where the others were, circling Berthdolt and Eren and Reiner kept running and he held them in his fists.

"Really? You can't be serious... this whole time you kept quiet and deceived us? That's so cruel!" Conny spoke out.
"You guys! Tell us it's a lie!" Sasha was still in disbelief.
"We're standing right here, right now. They took Eren. They were the ones who destroyed Wall Maria all those years ago. The ones responsible for all of those deaths. There's no denying it. This is reality." I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Hey, hey, hey... You think you can just keep running away? That's not going to happen! For three years, didn't we sleep under the same roof as comrades through thick and thin? Bertholdt... your odd sleeping positions were truly an art form. After a while, we all looked forward each morning to seeing your pose, and tried using it to predict the weather. But you.. to think you, the invader, could sleep like a log... right next to your victims!" Jean stared at Reiner's fist in frustration.

"Was everything just a lie? Remember we talked about surviving this together? And that we'd grow old, and someday we'd all go out for drinks together? Was everything... all a lie? Was it?! You guys... what were you guys thinking this whole time?!" Conny questioned.

"What's it even matter anymore? Just focus on cutting open his neck. If you hesitate for a moment, we won't be able to get Eren back. They are enemies of humanity. That is all there is to know." Mikasa reassured Conny.

"T-Tell me who!" I suddenly heard Bertholdt, and looked into a section where I could see him.

"Who the hell would want to kill people by their own choice?!" He shouted. There was a moment of silence, and he suddenly glanced at me and then looked back at wherever he was looking at.

"Who the hell would like doing this sort of thing?! Do you think I wanted to do this?! People hate and despise us... We've done such terrible things, we deserve to die. Things we'll never be able to take back. But... we just... couldn't come to term with our sins. The only time we had some respite was when we pretended to be soldiers." Bertholdt started to explain from his point of view while Mikasa, Armin, and Captain glanced at me.

"Conny! Jean! It's true we may have deceived everyone, but it's not all a lie! We really considered you as comrades! Neither of us have the right to even apologize. But... someone... please... someone please... someone find us!" Bertholdt shouted as I emotionlessly stared at Reiner's fist.

"Bertholdt. Give Eren back." Mikasa coldly said.
"It's no use... I can't. Someone has to be the one to do it. Someone has to be the one to stain their hands with blood." Bertholdt sighed.

"You guys! Get away from there!" I suddenly heard Hannes in the distance riding his horse. Then we all glanced towards the dozens of Titans charging us from the other direction, with Erwin leading them straight towards us.

"You guys! Jump and get outta there!" Hannes yelled as we all jumped away from Reiner as he went full speed into the Titans.
"Get onto your horses now!" Captain Levi yelled as we jumped off of Reiner and landed on our horses.

"I would kill for a steamed potato right now..." Sasha quietly said and stressfully looked ahead of her. She was riding her horse, Arney, who was pretty tall and was a dark brown with white splashes all over him. His markings are more unique than Adobe's.

Reiner started to charge into the Titans, picking up the speed. I pet Adobe's neck, and looked over to Captain Levi. I looked back at Reiner and the others, and he fell, with Titans piling on him as Ymir protected Historia. He struggled to stand up, but he suddenly let out a loud roar.

"What is going on? Is this hell?" Jean quietly asked to himself as we all watched what was happening from a nearby hill.

"No... but it will be! All soldiers, charge! The fate of humanity will be determined in this very moment! There is no future where humanity can inhabit these lands without Eren! We recover Eren and immediately retreat! Give your hearts!" Commander Erwin charged forward, putting his arm out with his sword pointing towards Reiner. We all pushed our horses, and charged behind Commander Erwin as the Military Police stayed behind.

I noticed Reiner start to punch the Titans away somehow, and they started to get off of him. That means that Bertholdt and Eren are venerable.

"Now's our chance." Captain Levi continued to charge toward Reiner.
"C-Captain, don't you see all of those Titans!? How do you plan on getting through that mess?" Jean looked over to him.

"Advance!" Commander Erwin held his arm out to the side, but was suddenly bit by a Titan on his arm. I turned around in disbelief as people shouted his name.

"Advance! Eren is just ahead! Advance!" Commander Erwin screamed out as a few people went back for him and we continued forward.

We approached the hoard of Titans. People started to get grabbed off of their horses, stomped on, and horses kicked away. It was a mess. Dead bodies lying everywhere of soldiers and their horses.

The Scouts shouted a determined roar, ready to do what it takes. To do what it takes to get Eren back. We have to.

Captain Levi was right next to Mikasa and I as we dodged several Titans, and we got sight of Reiner. Bertholdt and Eren were exposed, and we all grappled onto Reiner. Mikasa went towards Bertholdt but missed, and I noticed a Titan behind her that was going to grab her. I quickly propelled onto the Titan, and carefully sliced it's nape open as it dropped to the ground right before it could grab Mikasa.

Captain Levi in the mean time went for Bertholdt and Eren. Suddenly Reiner used his free hand to block them from Captain Levi and his blades went dull as he landed against his hand, and propelled backwards. Jean went to go help Mikasa as I landed onto Reiner's shoulder and Captain landed on the other one.

I noticed Armin talking to Bertholdt.

"Are you two okay with this? Leaving behind your comrade and returning home? You're abandoning Annie? You don't know where she's at? Far north... deep underground in the Utopia District being tortured. It was her screams that taught us something. That even with her body's healing, you can never get rid of the pain. They're taking special care to ensure that she doesn't die. And as we speak, they're not giving her body any rest. They're torturing her every way they know how." Armin crazily smiled at Bertholdt as Captain Levi and I noticed what he was doing.

"You spawn of the devil! I'll pulverize you!" Bertholdt screamed but suddenly Commander Erwin cut Eren from Bertholdt's back and Eren started to fall as Mikasa caught him and swung away. Captain Levi and I jumped off of Reiner and landed onto our horses while I looked behind us to see the hoard started to crowd Reiner, and take him down.

"All soldiers, retreat!" Erwin held out his free arm as we all galloped away.

A few moments later, just as I thought everything was fine, a Titan came flying right in front of us, and landed on the ground. Reiner. He's throwing them. I quickly turned Adobe away and so did the others, and there was dust everywhere from the impact. Another Titan was thrown in front of us, and suddenly I felt myself being blown off of Adobe from the explosion. Adobe landed on top of my bottom half of my body, and quickly got up and ran off. I sat up and winced at the pain on my legs and I noticed Captain Levi come out of the dust and debris beside me.

"Shit." He kneeled down beside me and looked at my legs.

He started to pick me up with his arms and he called his horse. He tried to use his ODM gear, but it wouldn't budge.

"It broke. Are you kidding me? When I fell it broke." Captain Levi spoke to himself as he sat me back down. He kept trying to whistle for his horse as I continued to try to whistle for mine, but there was no response. Neither of them were showing up.

I noticed a 10 meter Titan start to come out of the dust ahead of us, and Captain Levi furrowed his eyebrows as I tried to stand up.

"Don't stand up. You'll make the situation worse than it already is." Captain Levi looked down at me as I clenched my fist.