ᴛʜᴇ ɴɪɢʜᴛ ʙᴇꜰᴏʀᴇ ʀᴇᴛᴀᴋɪɴɢ ᴡᴀʟʟ ᴍᴀʀɪᴀ » ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 42

"This may be a special night, but... don't let the public find out! Behave like soldiers without causing a ruckus!" One of the higher-ups spoke.

"Wh-What? Is this meat?" Connie looked down at the plate of meat.
"Am I dreaming?" Sasha held her head.

"Tonight's the night before we retake Wall Maria! Cheers!" And after that, everyone went feral.

"Don't you start pulling that shit, potato girl! What the hell do you think you're doing!?" Jean tried to rip the meat out of Sasha's mouth while Connie throat locked her.
"Cut it out, Sasha! I... I don't want to have to kill you!" Connie held her while Jean pulled the meat out of her mouth.

"You can't eat the whole thing alone!" Jean held the meat, but Sasha bit his hand. "You're eating me! Eating me! Eating me!" Jean frantically yelled.

"Sasha! That meat is Jean! Have you lost your mind?!" Connie yelled.

While Connie was trying to control Sasha, she punched Marlo straight in the nose and he got a nosebleed.

"Connie, would you knock out Sasha already?" I sighed.
"I'm trying!" He struggled. "She should be unconscious but she's still moving!" Connie shouted.

-

"Don't you see? You're the rear guard because you've got no experience." Jean held out his hand to explain.
"I understand that I may be weak, but isn't the vanguard the best place to learn how the enemy moves?" Marlo asked.

"What's this? Trying to act all tough talking about self-sacrifice?" Jean looked up at Marlo.
"But if we're not about that mentality, how will we be effective as a unit?" Marlo questioned.

"Listen here, everyone starts out as a recruit. If we throw recruits into the canon battle like fodder, they'll all be too dead to learn. Which is why it's your job to sit back and learn so you can come home in one piece... but the most useless of all is the suicidal maniac who only knows how to charge in, right?" Jean started to pick on Eren.

"Jean, what do you mean by that?" Eren looked over at Jean.
"Who else? You suicidal maniac." Jean smirked.

"Actually, I found out something recently. I'm quite a normal person, you know? So if you're just saying that to me, that makes you a coward, Jean." Eren smirked back.

And in the flash of an eye they grabbed each other by the collar over Armin as the rest of us watched from across the table.

"You're so full of yourself, you pig shit!" Jean shouted.
"You trying to grow out the hair on your mane, horse face?!" Eren yelled back.

"Just don't punch the face." Connie mentioned.

"You jerk!"
"You're ripping it, ass!"

And then Eren threw an undercut right to Jean's stomach. And Jean threw an undercut. And more punches came from the two of them.

"You should start showing your mother some respect, Jean-boy!" Eren threw a hard punch.
"Would you forget about that?!" Jean threw one back.

"Shouldn't we stop them?" Armin looked down at Mikasa and I.

"No." I continued to watch them fight.
"I think it's fine." Mikasa held a small smile on her face.

I noticed Captain Levi come in after a few minutes and by that time Jean and Eren had given up on hurting each other anymore. Levi threw kicks to the both of their stomachs, sending them flying.

"You're all too damn rowdy. Go to sleep. And clean that up." Levi looked around, and everyone yelled out a "Yes-sir!"

-

"Ouch... it's weird when I say it, but shouldn't you guys watch out for me more?" Eren held onto Armin as Armin set him down on the staircase outside while Mikasa and I followed from behind.

"Well, I knew if you got hurt you would heal up quick, so I just watched." Mikasa explained.
"That's so cruel." Eren looked down at the stairs.
"You're the one who incited it." I said as I sat down next to Armin.
"But... at least you're spunky again." Armin looked up at Eren.

"I'm glad we met the commandment. I... it doesn't... whether I'm spunky or not, I'll do what I have to do. But, yeah. It's easier now. Kept thinking about stuff I couldn't change. And wondering why I can't be strong like Lilly and Mikasa. I was jealous." Eren looked at us. "But even you and Lilly alone, you can't do much. Which is why we've all gotta find things that we can do. And by joining together, that's what makes us powerful. Every person is different. And it's all for times like this." Eren smiled.

"Yeah... I think you're right." Armin said but stopped as we all looked down to see someone who looked like Hannes.

"Once we retake Wall Maria... and defeat the enemies coming for us, will they come back? Those days..." I sighed.

"We'll bring it back." Eren smiled.

"But some things are forever changed." Mikasa looked at the stairs below her.

"We'll make them pay for that." Armin said.

"Yeah." Eren agreed.

"But there's more than that... the sea. A salt lake so big that even the merchants could spend their whole lives and still not get all the salt. There's more than just Titans outside of the walls. Firey water, lands of ice, sandy snowfields, I joined the Scouts so I could see all that." Armin smiled.

"Yeah. You sure did." Eren smiled with him.

"Right! Let's start by seeing the sea! You still doubt that it's real, Eren! You'll see! It does exist!" Armin stood up and held out his arms.

"All right then. Guess we'll have to go see." Eren smirked.

"It's a promise, then!" Armin smiled.

Yet another conversation only these two get. I stood up and quickly said goodnight, heading back to my dorm. Might as well try to get some sleep tonight.

-

As I got settled in my dorm, I heard a knock at the door and the door opened. I saw Levi, and I sat down on my bed.

"Was the meat good?" He asked.
"Yeah, I haven't had any for a while." I nodded.

"Hey, tomorrow, please be careful." Levi looked down at me.

"Don't worry, I will." I stood up to go and put out the candle on my desk, but before I did I noticed Levi reach his arm out, reaching in for a hug.

I leaned into his chest and he was taken back a bit, and put one arm around my back to embrace me.

Was that supposed to be a side hug?

"You be careful too." I pulled away and he nodded. I looked up at his face to see a tint of red on his cheeks, and we shared a glance for a moment, he then quickly looked away.

"Get some rest." Levi looked back at me as he walked out of my dorm and closed my door.

-

"Just before sunset. It's finally time." Eren looked out into the distance over the wall as our horses stood behind us.

"Take Wall Maria back for us!"
"The future of humanity is in your hands!"
"Captain Levi! Thank you for saving our city!"
"You all come back in one piece, all right?!"

All of the citizens continued to cheer as the Scouts overlooked the crowd.

"Someone's got a big mouth." Captain Levi looked down at all of the people.
"Well, with all of the commotion we made, of course they'd find out." Hange looked down as well.

"Yeah! You know you can count on us!" Jean, Connie, and Sasha cheered.

Erwin suddenly held up his arm and cheered, the crowd cheering as well, Levi looking completely shocked at Erwin.

"Advance!" Erwin shouted as our horses followed and galloped behind him.

This is the night we will retake our home.