ᴛʀᴜᴛʜ » ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 35

The people ahead of us revealed themselves as Hange and Moblit

The people ahead of us revealed themselves as Hange and Moblit. We all sat down at the fireplace, reading the paper Hange gave us.

"And there you have it. The coup d'etat was successful. Premier Zachary has control of the capital and administrative district. For the time being, the nobility haven't rebelled." Hange explained as everyone read the paper over Levi's shoulder.

"What about the Boss Reeves incident?" Armin asked.

"We got a confession that proved the charges unfounded. His son Flegel really pulled through big time." Hange answered. 

"Just like it's written there, it shows the charges were bogus, they abused their power, and that King Fritz was a total fake. All our actions were justified self-defense. In other words, we're free people now." Hange continued to explain while Levi continued reading the paper, and everyone looked at each other with excited expressions. Oh no.

"Woohoo!" Everyone cheered, grabbing onto each other and throwing their hands in the air as Sasha held onto me and Mikasa, jumping in the air.

"Looks like the gamble paid off." Levi held up the paper.
"Yeah. It wasn't just Erwin though. The lone choices of many managed to change the world." Hange smiled.

"Yeah, and I managed to kill the three people you loaned me. I'm sorry." Levi glanced over to Hange, while she gave him a nod.

"The thing is, part of the Interior Police, their leader, Eren, and Historia are somewhere. If we don't find them soon..." I looked over at Hange.

"I may have a clue about that." Hange held up a book while me and Levi looked at her. "Let's get there and end this battle.

-

"Hange. You might know where they are?" Mikasa asked while Armin drove the wagon, and I sat next to Mikasa while Levi and Hange sat across.

"Yeah, I'll explain. Erwin gave me this Scout investigation report regarding Lord Reiss' land. Most of it has to do with an incident five years ago that shook up the entire Reiss family." Hange explained.

"Five years ago?" Armin looked back.

"Right. On the day Wall Maria was breached. I'll summarize the important bits from the beginning;

As the lord of his territory, popular opinion of Rod Reiss wasn't that bad. He had five children, his eldest daughter Freida was a down to earth girl that even peasants adored. But that night, five years ago, disaster struck. With the world having plunged into pure chaos, some bandits raided and set fire to the only chapel around. Unfortunately, the entire Reiss family were there that night praying together. And so, the whole family, save for the head of his house, Rod Reiss was massacred that night by the bandits. To top it off, this incident occurred just a few days before Historia's mother was killed by the Interior Police. In other words, immediately after losing his family, Rod Reiss sought out Historia. There must be a reason he and his lackeys are after Historia." Hange added.

"The same bloodline?" Captain folded his arms. "Is there some secret to their blood?" 

"I don't know yet. But what makes me really curious is that parts of the chapel were completely wrecked. The chapel itself is stone. It would take tons of time and effort to destroy it. Bandits would take what they can and escape. Plus, the only one who saw those bandits was Rod Reiss himself. Soon after, he used his own fortune to rebuild the chapel. But why? ...If you think about it, it's actually stranger that there were no traces of Titans. Even if I'm jumping to conclusions, something this suspicious deserves checking it out." Hange continued.

"Before the night is over, we'll have soldiers all over Reiss' land. Unfortunately, I doubt he'll be waiting that long. If we don't hurry up and get there, Eren may end up being eaten." Hange added.

If it's true that in order to inherit a Titan, that you have to eat someone in order to gain that, who did Eren eat to gain his powers?