ꜱᴇᴄʀᴇᴛꜱ » ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 34

"Eren will be eaten?" Armin asked

"Yeah. Eren remembered a conversation that went like this..." Hange starts to explain.

(Start Flashback)
"Do you resent me for it?" Ymir asked.
"I'm not sure. I... I don't know. You probably didn't want to eat a human either." Bertholdt said.
(End Flashback)

"Speculating on that, Ymir was a Titan wandering all alone outside the wall. Bertholdt, Reiner, and Annie had a comrade that she ate. When a Titan eats someone, they don't change back into a human. But, what if a Titan ate one of Reiner's comrades? They're humans who can transfer into Titans. In other words, if a Titan eats someone with that power, they revert back into a human. In the other day's battle, Reiner was throwing Titans at Eren who had escaped. Eren has the power to control Titans with his scream. He was trying to snatch that power with those Titans. In that case, Eren is just a vessel who is bound to be replaced. Basically, if the Government has a Titan of their own, they'll be the one to eat Eren." Hange began to explain as anxiety grew inside of me, and I noticed Mikasa who was standing next to me while the others were sitting at the table start to walk to the door with a frustrated look on her face.

"Mikasa. We have to think about this. Even if you go on a rampage, they're not going to give Eren back to us." I explained as I put a hand on Mikasa's shoulder, stopping her.

"Anyways, we head for the lands of Rod Reiss. Get ready to leave at once." Captain commanded.
"Yes, sir." We all nodded.

──── 

"The Scout Regiment murdered a civilian! Some of them have fled capture! They're still on the loose! If you spot any of these persons, report it immediately!" An MP shouted in the distance as I held a poster in my hand and we walked past some civilians talking with Jean by my side.

"Told you, didn't I? They're the ones that had that Titan battle here and practically destroyed everything!" One said.
"I bet they're using that Eren monster to wipe us out!" The other agreed, as I adjusted the hood on my rain coat and we stepped down the stairs where Mikasa and Armin were waiting for us.

We walked back into camp, greeting the Captain.

"Captain, we brought the supplies." Jean said as everyone set things down and I approached Captain Levi.

"The Military Police were handing out these." I handed Captain an article with his face on it and set down the bag of supplies that were on my back.

"If this is true, the Scouts will be disbanded. I heard they're hunting for us tonight. They'll also be putting guards on the vital roads, and it's impossible to get through without a pass. Captain, what now? " Armin added.

"If we don't hurry, Eren--"

"Calm down. They're using a wagon. It'll take at least a day to reach Reiss' territory. We'll have to use that time to come up with a plan." Captain explained.

"Captain, I hear footsteps." I listened closely, my head looking in the direction I heard them from. "They're coming this way." I added.

────

We ambushed the MPs coming our way, Armin and Mikasa were taking off their gear.

"Captain." Jean handed Levi notes.

"Stohess Military Police. Private Marlo Freudenberg. Same assignment, Private Hitch Dreyse. As for how we'll dispose of you..."

"Because of you guys, over 100 people were killed from Stohess District! You people... you might think you're all heroes of justice, but the victims and their families were dropped straight into hell!" Hitch shouted.

"Yeah, I know." Levi held his sword over his back.

"You there.. you're from the Southern Cadet Corps, yeah?" Hitch looked at me, and I stayed silent. "Just like Annie Leonhart. Were you friends of hers? No... I doubt she had any good friends, being as gloomy and aloof as she was. It's like she was a kid afraid of other people... I never got the chance to know anything about her. And the reason they still haven't found her is because she was pulverized by a Titan into a puddle of jelly!" Hitch went on a rant and turned to Captain Levi.

"No... because the Titan in hiding herself was Annie Leonhart herself." Captain simply explained. Hitch and Marlo had stunned expressions.

"Goddammit, it makes me sick. No one knows a damn thing about this world. Not us or anyone else, except for those bastards at the center of it all. We'll release you both as soon as we get out of here." Captain looked at the two.

"Captain Levi... please let me help you! I don't think what you guys are doing is wrong! If I can help correct this worlds injustice, then count me in!" Marlo spoke with a determined look on his face. 

"What's with this guy..." Captain Levi looked down at Marlo.

"I beg of you, Captain Levi!" Marlo added.

"Not a chance. I can't tell how well prepared you are about making an enemy out of the government. Let's go. Sasha, tie them up somewhere nearby." Levi explained, while the rest of us followed beside him.

"Captain. Please let me do it." Jean looked at Levi.

"Knock yourself out." Levi said after a pause and continued walking.

 ────

"That over there is the least manned checkpoint around." Marlo looked ahead over the brush, at the man post in front of us. 
"All right. We'll handle it ourselves. Get back to your squads before it gets suspicious." Levi commanded.

"Yes sir." Marlo nodded, and walked off with Hitch.

"Marlo, Hitch. We're grateful." Captain stopped them.
"Sir!" They both saluted. 

"Let's go! It's our turn to pick a fight!" Captain Levi looked at the rest of us.

 ────

The Captain had us take care of the rest of the guards while he went to get the general of the post. We were waiting for his arrival some distance from the post.

I heard footsteps ahead of us, and Jean pointed his rifle ahead.

"It's me." Captain Levi revealed himself, dragging someone behind him.

"Captain, he's..." Armin began to speak.

"With the Interior Police. I've got a few questions for him. Let's move." 

 ────

It was nightfall now. Captain was still trying to interrogate the general.

"Where are Historia and Eren?" Levi kicked him and kneeled down to look at the man.

"Oh, you're so brave. That checkpoint back their was just recruits who could barely wipe their own ass. You think you're some hero, beating them down?" The man looked at all of us.

"What an atrocious thing we've done," Captain threw a kick into the man's mouth. "But what's more atrocious is this mouth of yours. I recommend you start talking while you're still able to use it. Where are Eren and Historia?" Captain put his foot back down. 

"It's no use! All that's left for you now is to run and hide inside these walls, covered in mud and shit! If you don't turn yourselves in, every last Scout we capture will get the noose! Starting with the most guilty one of all, Erwin Smith!" The general rambled, and Captain Levi quickly stood him, grabbed his arms and faced him against the tree, while he twisted his arms in an unnatural position. 

"Shut up." Levi scoffed as the man screamed out in pain. "That's for not answering my question. Some Scout's lives are more valuable than others. Only those dumb enough to acknowledge to join us. Tell me where Eren and Historia went." Levi set the man down. 

"I-I don't know!" The man looked more desperate, tears rolling down his face. "I'm not allowed to know! Kenny Ackerman is a very cautious man!" The man shouted.

"Ackerman? I know Kenny, but is that his last name?" Levi questioned.
"It is, but--"
"True, there's a lot of things he doesn't divulge, especially the important stuff. But you must have a rough idea. You best try to remember." Levi went to grab the man again.

"Stop!!"
"Why? You still have plenty of bones left to break." Levi held his arm back.

"You... you're insane!" The man looked back at Levi.
"Maybe I am." Levi looked down at him.

"Someone's coming from that way!" Sasha suddenly pointed her bow in the direction of the noise, while Levi pinned the man to the ground and the rest of us readied our weapons. 

"More than one!" Sasha added.

"Told you so, Captain. It's no use. One way or another, the Scouts will come to an end!" The general scoffed.

 ────