ꜱʜɪɢᴀɴꜱʜɪɴᴀ » ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 43

The Scouts walked together with our hoods up, leading horses beside us. I heard a horse spook behind me as I walked next to Eren, Mikasa and Armin.

I turned around to see the Scout pulling on the reins to stop the horse and giving it a pat, going to pick up the lantern.

"Hey! You've gotta light up the ground." Levi looked over at the Scout.
"S-Sorry!" The Scout apologized.

"We're not at foot yet? It's almost dawn." Levi glanced over to the Scout beside him.
"Once we're over this mountain, Shiganshina is right there." The Scout explained, and I turned my head forward as we continued walking.

"Sorry you're stuck with Lucky." Eren looked over at Mikasa who was leading his horse.
"You're supposed to be saving energy." Mikasa explained as I looked over to Adobe and Mikasa's horse, Zorro while I held onto their reins, leading them forward.

"She's right. Rest up, Eren." Connie nodded, petting his horse Spot.
"Don't say his name, stupid." Jean reminded Connie, leading Anyo.
"Oh, yeah, sorry." Connie quickly looked over to Jean.
"Assume this place is swarming with enemies." Jean said, and we all looked over to see a Titan resting against a tree.

"Titan on the left! Everyone halt! Light up the area!" I heard someone shout, and I shined my lantern towards the Titan, noticing Adobe and Zorro look over with us. The Titan wasn't moving while I heard people pulling out their swords.

"It's alright. He's fast asleep. This lad must not be one of those new types who move at night. That's too bad. Let him be." Hange explained as everyone lowered their blades.

"I can't believe we didn't see it until this close up." Eren glanced over at the Titan behind us.

"Yeah, I'm with you there. The moonless night must be protecting us. Light from the moon is reflected by sunlight. The new type of Titan... we think they use that minuscule amount of reflected light to move. Using the new moon was the right move. There's no grantee we won't have a repeat of before. That lad may be one of those "Moonlight Titans" for all we know. Hope we capture one someday!" Hange smirked as she gave a pat on Noki's neck.

I was looking down at the grass while we were walking, seeing my feet take steps along with Adobe's. I glanced over to Eren's hand that was holding his lantern, noticing him shaking. After a few moments his free arm grabbed the shaking one, holding it still.

"Eren..." Mikasa called out.
"What are you shaking for? Are you nervous?" I questioned as Armin glanced over.
"Huh?! I'm not scared!" Eren looked at me, offended.
"You're kidding... look at your hand." Armin glanced down at his shaking arm as Eren turned his focus to Armin.

"This is-- it's cold! My hand's damn freezing!" Eren defended himself.
"Really? My whole entire body has been shaking this whole time. See?" Armin held up his lantern while his hand shook.

"Eren, have you ever been afraid of Titans? Normally, everyone's terrified of them. Like me... the first time I faced a Titan I couldn't move a muscle. But there I was, and you pulled me right out of a Titan's mouth. How were you able to do something like that?" Armin explained, and glanced over at Eren.

"I remembered the time you showed me that book. Up until then, I never thought about what was outside of the walls. I just spent every day staring up at the sun and clouds. But then, I heard your story and looked into your eyes. You were seeing an awesome dream. But I had nothing. That's when I knew, I wasn't free. Trapped in a small cage in a huge world, my freedom stolen by those unthinkable fiends. When I realized that, I couldn't forgive them. I don't know why, but when it comes to taking back freedom... Yes. Strength flows through me." Eren explained, taking his free arm off of his arm that wasn't shaking anymore.