ᴛʜᴇ ꜱᴄᴏᴜᴛꜱ » ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 12

*Play Mari I*

"You're already finished with the rooms?" Captain Levi looked at me and I nodded, as I walked into the room where he was cleaning

"I recognize you. From several different occasions..." He looked at me, and I noticed Eren walk in as well.

"I've finished cleaning the upstairs! Where in this facility am I to sleep, sir?" Eren asked.
"Your room's in the basement. You should join him too, Jones. Don't want you murdering any of us in our sleep." Captain Levi glared at me, and I glared back.

"The basement... again?" Eren sighed.

"Of course. You don't have full control of yourself. Should you turn into a Titan in your sleep, we can keep you restrained right there in the basement. That was one of the conditions I was given when taking custody of you. It's a rule we have to follow. I'll go check both of your cleaning, you two continue here." Captain Levi explained, and walked off.

"I can't believe you did that to Captain the other day, Lilly! You could have gotten yourself killed. Everyone is talking about it." Eren looked down at me.
"Tch. He deserved it." I folded my arms.

"You looked disappointed, Eren." I heard a female's voice, and turned around to see a girl with ginger hair.

"Oh, I hope you don't mind me calling you 'Eren' like Captain Levi does. He sets the rules here." Petra explained.
"I see." Eren looked around.

"You were the girl Captain and I saved! How are you doing?" Petra walked towards me.
"I'm fine." I simply responded.
"I'm really glad we took you, we were really debating whether or not you'd survive." She gripped the broomstick.

"Anyways, it's nice to finally meet you in person while you're awake! I'm Petra. Petra Ral." She smiled, and put her hand out to shake mine. I nodded and gripped her hand, shaking it firmly. 

"Also, did I really look disappointed?" Eren asked, and I pulled away from Petra's grasp.

"It's not an unusual reaction. He's not quite the great, perfect hero humanity makes him out to be, huh? The real Captain Levi is shorter than you'd expect, temperamental, crude, and unsociable." Petra explained.
"Well, Lilly can seem that way too." Eren added.
"She's different in a way." Petra smiled.

"What surprises me is how serious he is about adhering the higher-ups' arrangement." Eren looked at Petra.
"You thought that because he's strong and skilled he didn't have to follow the rules like everyone else?" Petra asked.

"Right. I thought that he didn't take orders from anyone..." Eren looked down.
"I don't really know the details myself, but I think he might have been like that at one time." She responded, and I furrowed my eyebrows, in thought.

"They say that before he joined the Scouts, Captain Levi was an infamous rogue in the capital's underground market." She explained and I looked at the ground in thought.

"So how did he...?" Eren slowly asked.

"Beats me. I don't know what happened, but I hear he wound up being dragged into the Scouts after giving in to Commander Erwin." She smiled.
"Commander Erwin?" Eren asked, clearly curious.

"Oi, Eren! Lilly! Both of your jobs are completely unacceptable. Do them both all over again." Levi walked in, with an angered look on his face and Petra frantically started brushing the floor with the broom, and Eren tensed up, while I stayed still and calm. What's so intimidating about him?

"Yes, sir!" Eren replied, and I glared at Captain Levi.