Chapter 3: A story I had forgotten (1)

"Lucas, are you still studying?" 

Edwin came inside the library and sat near Lucas whose eyes were sticking into the book history. It had been over 7 years that Lucas had came into this world and he got pretty familiar with the customs and language. Everyone in the mansion said that he was really a genius because he learned things fast and at the age of five, he could speak like a little adult.

What interest him most was the magic in this world. Everyone in this world was able to use magic, like controlling water or fire or other elements. The amount of magic they could use depend on how much mana they had. Their magic type also varied with their mana. People had one main magic type that they were born with. For example, both of Edwin and Maria were born with mana which they could manipulate it into their sword arts. In other words, they are natural born sword masters. Well, almost everyone in this family of Duke Cassius Evandall were the sword masters. They were also the strong knights of this Kingdom, Rudia.

As it was the world of magic, it was not strange for it to have the demon race, too. Like hunters, guilds, dragons and other types of monsters that normally existed in fictions. Cool, right?

Well, if you wanna know if Lucas was also a sword master, the answer was 'Unfortunately, no.' Cases like him was rare because the mana of sword arts was one of the most powerful ones and they usually took domain over other magic type. Like if a sword master father married with other magic-type mother, the child being a sword master was almost about 99% sure. 

So what was he?

"Yes brother. Do you need something?" Lucas closed the book he was reading and paid attention to Edwin. During these years, Edwin and Maria really cared him so much and always on Lucas's side. They really did adore Lucas, their little brother.

"Nah, I just want to take you out. Isn't it really boring to read those thick books always?"

Edwin was already a 19 years old youth. Well, he was always filled with a lot of energy and freshness. The problems that occurs in the mansion because he sneaked out during the training and going around the city without any guards or without informing were now normal for Lucas. 

"It's not boring and how will you take me out brother? You got banned from going out by father."

Yes, Duke Cassius banned Edwin to go out for a while because the last time he sneaked out in disguise, he fought with some thugs who were bullying other kids. Of course, he won easily and the excuse for fighting was not bad but it was not good for a duke's son to stroll around alone and caused commotions.

Well, about the Duke Cassius, it was really hard to Lucas to see him because he didn't really spend time with his children. Of course, there were times that Cassius checked how Edwin or Maria were doing in their education but he rarely come and see Lucas. The only times that Lucas meet their father were during their breakfast and dinner. The distance between them was so cold but Lucas believed that it was because Duchess Stacia died while giving birth to him. Cassius was a cold and strict man but he was also known for adoring his wife, Stacia. So it was definitely possible that Cassius loathed the existence of Lucas. 

"And normally, I am restricted to go out with the excuse of having healing magic." Lucas sighed and continued.

Healing magic which Lucas inherited from Stacia, was regarded as one of the most precious and rare magic type which didn't need a large amount of mana to use. Hunters and many other people who had to risk their lives while fighting monsters or in wars really desire healers because healers could make their lives much more easier and safer. There was even a saying that if a healer was powerful enough, he could even revive the death, although there were some conditions.