Chapter-22: The Banquet (2)

"Hello there, Nice to see you here." Eldric knelt down with one knee as he gently asked Lucas, not knowing who Lucas really was. "Did you get lost? What is your name?"

"I am called Lucas Evandall, Your highness. Second son of Duke Cassius."

'Why is the prince, the main focus of today's party, spending his time here!? Shouldn't he be enjoying the ball right now!?'

Although confused, Lucas self-introduced politely and when he looked up again, Lucas could notice that Price Eldric looked a bit stunned after hearing Lucas's name. It was rather like being stunned by some surprise but it didn't take long as he continued with a laugh.

"Oh Lucas. I believe Edwin is also here. Did you get separated from your brother? Should I guide you?" Eldric gently said, as children of this age would normally be overwhelmed by the atmosphere of such lively banquet and he was afraid Lucas would feel so, too.

"Ah, no... Your Highness. I was just here to feel some breeze.... I will leave immediately, so enjoy your time." As soon as Lucas finished talking he tried to excuse himself but the dull atmosphere around Eldric made him reluctant to do so.

"Oh, wait...."

'What is wrong with him?' Lucas was already on his way to leave the terrace but the voice of Eldric made him look back.

Although the party was intended for Eldric, his eyes seemed to be lifeless contradicting the smile he was making which made Lucas retrace his steps.

"Is something wrong, Your Highness?"

At first, Eldric seemed to be hesitant before he slowly continued his words. "Can you accompany me for a while? Of course, you are free to go if you don't want....."

It surprised Lucas a bit to be asked to accompany him. Certainly, Lucas didn't refuse him as he felt like it was a bit wrong to leave that sad-looking youth alone. Maybe he could help Eldric with something. Even though Lucas might not look like it, he was pretty good with consultation, ...... sometimes.

Although they could still hear some noise from the ballroom, the atmosphere from the terrace was pretty tranquil and it also had a cool breeze as the sunset was already over and the moon had started rising.

"Is something bothering you, Your Highness?" Lucas, who couldn't handle the silence and awkward atmosphere anymore, decided to initiate the conversation.

"Do I look like it?"

"Sort of? It seems like you are not enjoying the party. Am I wrong?" Lucas looked at Eldric who was gazing outside beside him. Eldric was still wearing the soft smile like he had always had.

The said prince couldn't believe that such a young child like Lucas could read his mind even when most of his supporting ministers usually couldn't. Normally, Eldric would just slide it off with a smile as he had always done since he was so used to enduring. In a position which was always related with socialization and politics, he always had his guard on while covering all his emotions with just a smile.

Strangely enough, he didn't feel like he needed to be super cautious around Lucas. 'Maybe because he was just a small kid?' He thought as he shifted his gaze towards Lucas.

"I feel like I don't deserve this...." Eldric, himself, really didn't know why he was spilling words. It must be Lucas' appearance that made him feel relaxed.

"Actually, I made a mistake... a big mistake, to be exact.... And it resulted in many deaths of the innocents." Eldric continued, while looking at the night sky, again. "If I was more careful.... It shouldn't have happened...."