Chapter-16: Black Market

"Please.... Just save him and I will do anything you tell me to..." The hooded girl begged non-stop like it was the end of the world for her and she didn't have anytime to breathe. Lucas could know how dire her situation was, just by hearing her stuttering voice.

"Where is your brother?"

As soon as Lucas asked, the girl immediately stood up and pointed towards the valley that she had come from, while also dragging Lucas's hand as if she was asking him to hurry up. Both Lucas and Ryosuke looked at the valley she was pointing at and with one glance they could see that it was a shady one.

'Is it the black market?' From the books he read, Lucas knew that every market also had a black market which usually sold goods that weren't suitable or that hindered the mind of a majority of shoppers, such as chimeras, used for the mana examination and some kinds of controllable beasts that hunters caught alive. Even so, Lucas didn't have exact or deeper knowledge as information related with the black markets were not that widespread in the outside world.

"Lucas, should we wait for Carl?" Ryosuke stated his idea while glancing at the said boy.

"NO! You can't wait!! I don't know what they will do to Tus if you don't hurry!" The girl was sounding more and more impatient.

Lucas decided to follow her instantly as she appeared to be really worried about her brother. Besides, Black market might sound eerie but it was not a dangerous place as long as one didn't mess around with people and most of the problems could be negotiated with money. When it came to money, Lucas still had a lot left, wasn't it?

"Ok girl, lead the way! Brother Ryo, wait for Carl and ask him to follow me when you meet him!"

The said girl and Lucas immediately left, leaving Ryosuke behind even without listening to his answer. Of course, Ryosuke also did go after them, murmuring to himself that how could he leave Lucas to go alone to a suspicious place.

The path was really dark and kind of gave off a terrifying atmosphere, indicating that this was really leading to not a very good place. After running along for 5 minutes, the trio was finally at the back side of the buildings where there was a market area but it was not an ordinary one.

People could be seen here and there, all with their respective hoods on as if they didn't want to let other people see their faces which also made both Lucas and Ryosuke subconsciously wore the hoods of their robes. There were also shops that sold various items but all of them gave Lucas a bad vibe making him not want to know what they were and what were the uses for them. The buzzing atmosphere that Lucas faced in the central market area instantly changed into a cold and terrifying one.

"This way!" The girl led the duo into a deeper part of the market area, and when arriving at where the girl intended to go, Lucas was horrified and shocked abruptly, looking at the scenery in front of him.

The area was filled with different sizes of cages in which there were not monsters or such animals but humans. There were also some cages which contained beastmen from different tribes. But all of the beings in the cage were in rugged clothes and their heads were all down and some with lifeless eyes as if they lost hope for their lives. Their skinny figures were also bruised and some even filled with injuries, showing that they were greatly abused.

'They must be slaves.....' Lucas almost vomited from the disgusting atmosphere. He really did have no idea that their kingdom also had such inhumane places like this. At least, he didn't hope to see such places in the capital.

Ryosuke was also disgusted and felt the same with Lucas, finally noticing the dark side of the country as he also had not seen such a scenario since the day he had arrived here nor at his original home town.