Chapter-13: The first experiences for sports are never easy

Lucas was now standing on that training area, in his simple brown shirts and shorts, without any accessories on the clothing and his hands, wearing a pair of half gloves. Besides him was Ryosuke who was also in his comfortable clothing which was suitable for exercises.

Today was the first day for their swordsmanship lessons. Although Ryosuke was going to have different lessons later, he had to train together with Lucas for now as he had no basic training for swordsmanship, much worse, he hadn't even held a sword before. The most similar thing to a sword that he held on earth was badminton.

Lucas was also excited to learn how to use a sword. He didn't have any mana affinity for weaponry arts but that doesn't mean he couldn't use it. If he trained hard, he should be able to defend himself properly although it would be meaningless against a weapons master, of course.

But the last thing Lucas wanted most was to be powerless, and only to depend on others for his own safety. For healers like him, it was unnecessary to learn fighting skills because they would always be protected wherever they went. If they went on a monster raid with an adventure party, they would be protected by party members and even if they participated in war, they still would be protected by many ability users. Shields would always be everywhere they went.

Thus, there were almost no healers who would make effort on such weaponry arts or other magic types and they would only focus on developing their skills and mana durability in order to improve their worth. But Lucas didn't want to be like that. He didn't want to be left behind only to be protected. At least he didn't want to be completely defenseless on his own.

With such a determined mind, Lucas looked towards his instructor who also appeared to be studying them like every teacher who saw their students first would do. He was being checked from head to toe and so was Ryosuke and that made both of them really awkward. Since the time they arrived at the training area, that instructor, who was a middle-aged good built man with his brown hair tied backward, was studying them with his sharp green eyes without even telling them anything, not even introduction.

"I am Brook Housland, captain of the third division of royal knights. As you must have heard, I am your instructor from today on." Finally the instructor introduced himself shortly. "You two definitely need muscle strength before we can even start it. Will you even be able to hold a sword properly? Especially you, white haired kid!" His eyes were narrowed. It seemed that he felt it might be useless teaching them skills.

"I am called Lucas, sir." Lucas didn't protest anything as Brook said nothing wrong. He just promised to himself that he would definitely blow up this mind of his teacher one day by training hard.

"I know! Who wouldn't know you? And that brat also looked like he would be thrown away just with a hit." Brook said, pointing his hand to Ryosuke. "I am gonna give you two a hard time, so be prepared. Don't think that you can just slack off just because you are a duke's son."

Lucas felt kind of irritated for his behavior. He was trying to be polite to his teacher, out of his habit of in his past world. He had to keep reminding himself to be patient and endure so that he would not break a fight with his teacher on his first day.

Their day began with push ups and running around the field. Lucas definitely felt like he was in hell and he had to control his mind not to heal himself as it would definitely mean there would be no changes to him whatever he did. He had never done such kind of strenuous exercise since he had come to this world, realizing that he needed a lot to build up strength.

Finally after 50 push ups, Lucas really gave up when lying on the ground of the training field, reaching his limit that he could not break anymore for today. He was huffing so much that he felt like he was going to die from tiredness, believing that he was gonna have huge muscle pains in the evening or the next morning.