Only Ones Who Know (1.1)

~*~*~*~ July 2003 ~*~*~*~

"Excuse me, can you pull over please?" You ask loudly, practically leaning over Alex who's sitting directly behind the driver of the black taxi.

Thankfully, the driver nods his head and begins to reduce his speed just after. You're glad he could hear your plea through the Perspex that separated him from the rest of you, because you need to get out.

"Thank you." You tell the driver, before getting out of Alex's personal space and sitting back down next to the disgusting couple that were getting off beside you.

Thank god you're not too far away from home now.

Alex asks you with wide eyes, "Why'd you do that? What's happening?"

You glance at the brunette who looks like he feels more uncomfortable about being seated backwards than Matt getting off with the random girl beside you.

Alex was meant to be staying at Matt's house tonight after their gig and the night out you'd had afterwards. But in the pub Matt had gotten lucky and the girl wanted to go home with him.

You living two roads away from Matt Helders means that you always share taxis home with him, but tonight he's just insufferable. And you're not going to let Alex suffer through it once you part ways, either.

"You're staying at mine. I'm not leaving you with that." You inform Alex, as you glance over to Matt who's still got his tongue down the random girl's throat.

The more you look at Matthew and the blonde, the more you want to jump out of the moving vehicle. Hands are beginning to roam now, too, and you don't want to be in their vicinity any longer.

It'd be very unfair of you to leave Alex in their presence. Especially when you have your whole house to yourself and you're only round the corner from where he was originally meant to be staying.

"What about your Mum?" Alex asks, concern clear on his face as the taxi slows.

"She's away for the weekend, it's fine. House is empty." You assure him as you open the door once the red light has gone off.

Both you and Alex get out of the taxi but before you close the door, you pull a £10 note out of your pocket for your share of the taxi fare.

"Matt, you're disgusting but here's a tenner." You say, throwing the money at him.

Matt nods at you when he takes a quick break from the blonde. You shake your head at him trying not to smile at the cocky bastard.

You hear Alex tell the driver, "Then to the original address please mate." when you close the black door.

You're more than thankful to see the taxi drive away. You didn't want to endure anymore of that disgusting PDA.

Both you and Alex breathe a sigh of relief when you're just in each other's presence again. You're glad to see the taxi's lights disappear from sight down the long road.

"They're vile," Alex sighs before lighting up a cigarette.

"I was ready to jump out the taxi but the red light were on." You tell him truthfully with a little chuckle.

You both walk in silence for a few minutes, just smoking and reminiscing about the night you'd just had.

Alex and the lads had a gig at a venue in town where your friendship group had all gone to support them. You were always really close with them all, your little group always meeting up after high school and now most days after college.