Despair In The Departure Lounge (4.3)

Make sure you read 4.2 first x

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

You whisper back, a sad smile forming as you say, "I love you, too."

She thankfully manages to calm you down over the next 15 minutes. You weren't crying anymore which you both took as a little sign of progress.

The numb feeling still lingered in your chest but there wasn't much you could do about that. You just hoped that your other friends would distract you enough to make that feeling go away.

"I'm so sorry Hun," Y/B/F once again apologises for the situation that wasn't her fault.

You assure her that, "It's okay."

"Are you going to come over?" She asks hopefully, but she would fully understand if you didn't want to.

You don't think it would be in your best interest to just go home yet though. You needed to at least get used to the new dynamic and having your best friend by your side for some support would be better than you creating scenarios in your head of what the couple were up to.

So you knew you were going to go meet your friends with her. But you pretended to think about it for a moment.

"Depends," You tell her.

She curiously asks, "On what?"

"On what alcohol you've brought and if it looks like I've been crying."

"Dark Fruits and maybe a little," She tells you honestly. "But it's going dark so no one will be able to tell."

"You're such a liar, it's barely five," You lie, looking at the view of Sheffield that still shows a very sunny afternoon.

"Well, you can wear my sunglasses, proper ones so they definitely can't see your eyes," She says, unhooking them from her top and placing the aviators on you. "And I've got a load of ciders."

Once she assures you that you're going to be fine, you head out of your hiding place and make your way down the path to your friends.

"Can you skate me back?" Your best friend asks you.

You furrow your eyebrows as you both get back onto the path and sarcastically ask her, "What? Like Titanic you back over?"

This seems to get her excited then as she nods dramatically and says, "Yeah, that'll be so much fun."

"I can try if you keep yourself balanced," You tell her as you walk back down the path.

So when you both get back onto the concrete pitch, you put the board down and instruct her on what you think will be best to do. You'd not been on a board with another person before so it was a little nerve wracking.

You instruct her to be as balanced and still as possible as she's on the front of the board. And somehow with your arms wrapped around her waist, you push yourself off and make it back onto the board without falling.

You have to push yourself once more and again make it back onto the board, which you're again amazed by and Y/B/F is giggling her way through it. As you both get closer to your mates, your best friend screams, "I'm the queen of the world!"

And all is fine until she puts her outstretched arms back down. That's when things start to go wrong.

She leans herself back into you which means that she throws you off balance. Then to try and correct the impending failure she leans to the side, which means neither of you had any hope.

Before you know it, you're both falling backwards, a squeal leaving Y/B/F's mouth as the board flies forward from underneath you. You can hear it shoot away from you, but you both pay it no attention to it because you've landed on your back with your best mate landing on top of you.