Be My Mistake (24.4)

Make sure you read 24.3 first x

~*~*~*~ 23rd January 2018 ~*~*~*~

Telling Alex was the thing you hated most about the entire situation. And the fact that even Matty knew it was painfully clear that you had feelings for Alex was enough to make the prospect of telling your best friend what happened even scarier.

And it was as bad as you thought it would be. You went round to his flat and told him when it was just you and him the day after you got back to Sheffield.

He went quiet on you and that was somehow worse than him shouting or getting annoyed at you. He just looked so vacant about it but you could see and feel that it was eating away at him.

When you asked him if he wanted you to leave, he told you that he didn't. When you apologised, he told you that you didn't have to. But none of that stopped your heart aching for him.

In no way do you regret what happened with Matty. That day with him probably means the most to you. Like closing a chapter of your life and there's a nice, neat bow tied around it.

And you told Alex that too. You told him that it won't be happening with Matty again. And you told him in a definitive way. Not that you expect that to make what you told him any easier.

You're just thankful that it didn't affect your friendship for too long. He was distant with you for a few weeks but you're thankful that around Christmas things went back to normal.

And now, almost two months later, you're grateful that things were back to how they were. You've been on an adventure with him around town today. You dragged him with you to get your art supplies for the next gallery you want to put on.

You're hoping for another show this summer and you're in the process of booking a larger gallery this time. Alex has been supportive of you, like always when it comes to your art, and you're truly grateful he didn't moan about how many canvases you made him carry earlier.

You dumped most of them back at his flat because you'd started to do more paintings at his place in the past month. And your best friend was more than accommodating.

Alex has just driven you back to your flat, like the saint that he is. But you find that you don't really want your day with him to end just yet.

You ask with a cheeky grin, "You wanna come up for a bit, Shakespeare? Make you a brew and I've got some chocolate that's got your name on it."

"Sure." Alex nods and the both of you happily head upstairs to your flat.

But as you make it up to your floor, you hear music blaring out and as the both of you get closer you realise it's coming from your flat. Alex gives you a concerning look as you let go of his flat to unlock your door, saying, "Fucking hell she's got the music on loud."

"She's been like this the past few months." You nod, but then you giggle when you tell him, "One time I walked in and she was dancing around the lounge in her underwear."

"Christ, get ready to cover my eyes." Alex tells you and you laugh as you push your door open.

The both of you hear Blue Monday by New Order is blaring loudly out of your speakers in the lounge. You look back to Alex with a 'what the fuck' expression because who the fuck plays Blue Monday at 5pm on a Wednesday?

The bass is thumping through the fucking walls and you can practically feel it vibrating as you walk down your hall.

You intend to scorn her when you see her, because your speakers are going to be fucked at the rate she's using them. But the words die on your tongue, along with all other thoughts when you walk around the corner and into your lounge.