Chapter 7

Just as Shigaraki left the room, the door opened. Dabi stepped in with a bag of cough drops and a box of tea bags. "There." He threw the stuff towards Satoko. "This better help. I almost got electrocuted for some tea and cough drops."

Satoko caught them. "Thanks." She made a snarky comment with her raspy voice. "And how do you expect me to boil the tea?" She took a cough drop to suck on. But it wasn't doing anything yet.

Dabi's expression didn't change. "I don't know. Find a way. Not like we can pay for an electric bill."

He didn't understand how she was acting so normal. Usually when they kidnapped someone (which he often forgot had only happened once before) said person would be furious with the situation. They would have to be restrained somehow.

Not Satoko. She was fitting right in almost immediately. Well, after being tossed back and forth a few times.

"Guess I'll just keep having a sore throat then." Satoko rolled her eyes. "You have fire to heat up water. I don't."

Dabi finally smiled. "You got me there. There should be cups or something in the kitchen."

He led the way to the kitchen, which was actually a small and messy room. He managed to find a cup to use for the tea, heated up some water, and handed the cup to her for her tea bag.

"Thanks." Finishing her cough drop, she put her tea bag in and blew on it to cool. After a few sips, her throat was starting to get back to normal.

As she kept drinking, she wasn't too fond of working with villains. She doesn't want to hurt anyone. Ironic, but she never was one to attack first.

Whenever she hurt someone, it was out of defense. Not offense. She stared at the tea a bit. (What can I possibly do? How can I make a difference?)

This world is so corrupt. She had always said heroes aren't different than villains are. They both have huge flaws that harm others. She can't decipher what is worse....

Then the thought of her parents came to mind. Her dad, calling her useless. Him bad mouthing his own wife. Her mother, pulling hairs out of her head as a way to take her frustrations out on Satoko.

One time, she made Satoko kneel onto a bunch of thumbtacks. She would have to stay that way for hours. It was so surreal. They didn't treat her badly until they found out she was quirkless. Or so they thought.

She was just a disappointment and a waste of time. They never loved her. It was all fake. They kept trying to trigger her powers awakening by abuse.

They wished she was never born. A waste of money. They retracted her from going to preschool because she was an embarrassment.

Nothing. She was nothing.

The worst scar she received is on her back. Her tattoo now covers it. Her dad struck her back with a hammer. Over and over. But he had to stop. Otherwise, she would have been dead.

Once her mom got pregnant, they stopped feeding Satoko. She would be starving and locked her away in a room. They'd feed her dog food like she was some kind of pet.

Why were they doing this?

Why?

And that day she went abandoned. The fact that she was crying on the streets.

No one cared. It was a terrible area to live in anyways. Heroes hardly came around. It would be rare, but they didn't care either. It was as if she was treated like nothing.

A mere child. Why were poor people treated like dirt?

But...

(They were wrong about me...)