Misfortune Route - Chapter 8

The door to Heights Alliance opened up. Shoto entered and closed the door behind him.

He was visibly exhausted. His hair stuck to his face from the sweat. He was breathing heavily at first, but as soon as he turned around and saw Endeavor waiting, he tried to regulate his breathing. It was sort of an instinct at that point.

He glared at him. It was the same cold look that he used to give him. "Why are you here?"

"You have been overdoing the training lately." Endeavor's forehead creased into a worried state. "You go without any breaks. It isn't good for your body to push its limits."

He felt like such a hypocrite for saying that. In the past, he had pushed Shoto as a child. Seeing him do this in the present just felt wrong. Even more so since the girl he loved had died not too long ago.

"Why do you care now?" He snapped. All of the hurt that he felt was showing itself in the form of anger. He wasn't close with Endeavor anyway, so him trying to talk sense only made that anger grow. "It didn't bother you to push me too hard when I was a kid, and I WANTED to stop back then."

"I know and I regret that with my whole being." Endeavor's eyes saddened. "I know I can never atone what I've done, but you doing this to yourself... Isn't right at all. I don't want you to walk the same path as I did."

Shoto shook his head. Even doing that caused his muscles to feel sorer. "I'll never be like you. I'm working hard to be the person who I want to be. Someone who isn't like you. I want to make people feel safe when they see me."

"I know.. I never want you to be like how I was." Endeavor responded. "I know the loss of your classmate has been hard on you. That is the reason why you're doing this, right?"

The image of Momo appeared in Shoto's mind. There was an aching void in his heart that couldn't be filled. His eyes became sad for a moment. "I should have saved her. If I become stronger, maybe I can keep other people from losing someone they love."

"That's in the past now. Nothing can be done." Endeavor wasn't trying to come across as harsh, but he was trying to be sympathetic. "You need to move on with your life. That's what she would-"

"I can't move on so easily!" He interrupted. Despite being obviously angry, his eyes looked like he was in pain inside. "It's easy for you to move on, but I'm not like you."

Endeavor seemed at a loss for words, so Shoto continued. "Stop coming into my life. You only make things worse for me and everyone else. I hate you."

The hatred was well deserved. Endeavor knew that. His eyes lowered from trying to conjure up what to say next. "You don't have to worry about seeing me anymore. I will be getting you, Rei and your siblings a home. I'll be out of the picture."

He had that initially planned regardless, yet he wanted Shoto to know. All he truly wanted was for them to be happier without him there.

A small ounce of hope showed up in Shoto's eyes. His expression softened quite a bit from hearing his mother's name. "Will she be able to leave the hospital soon?"

"I'm not sure yet. No one knows but you right now. I... had already purchased the house and trying to get it furnished." Endeavor looked away.

"Oh." He didn't make any effort to mask his disappointment. His eyebrows furrowed again. "I do want to know something before you leave though. How did you know about my training?"

"Your friends told me." Endeavor turned his back on him. "The spiky blonde one and the freckled boy. The two didn't know how to approach you anymore so they thought I could...somehow..."