Chapter 22

TRIGGER WARNING FOR THIS CHAPTER.
If you've ever experience infertility, this may be hard for you to read. (It was hard for me to write even as I have experienced it myself.)

-----------

A sound of meowing popped up in the room. It was the cat that Momo and her friends found a while back. Shoto decided to take him in since the cat was fond of him the most.

"It's Michi!" Satoko exclaimed. During her time of living in this place, she saw Michi on and off. He wasn't always around. Usually would be doing his own thing.

Momo and Shoto watched as the feline didn't hesitate to crawl on Toya's lap. He was purring and kneading into his leg.

"What do you want?" Toya asked. He sounded harsh, but he had a smile on his face. He gently scratched Michi's head.

Shoto turned around to look at them. He was surprised to see Michi with Toya. "He must like you."

The cat started purring and flopped down on his lap. Seeing that made Satoko really happy and started to pet Michi with him.

Momo nudged near Shoto. "You know what they say about cats. They can sense things and have good judgment." Her words are more encouraging towards Shoto than anything.

Not only that, she felt relieved seeing the cat react the way he did. It was honestly surprising, but at the same time, wasn't. She can also tell how Toya's body language is around Satoko. It's as if it was just a bad dream that he severely hurt Shoto before. She couldn't describe what she was feeling looking at this kind of setting.

Shoto nodded. After making sure that Momo was alright with it, they sat down across from the others.

Shoto still didn't talk much during their visit. He mainly just answered questions that Toya had about Michi. Toya seemed strangely interested to know about the cat. After a while of talking, he felt Momo's head on his shoulder.

He turned his head to look. She had a relaxed expression. She was even smiling. That helped to soothe Shoto's nerves too.

Momo felt a little tired. Satoko took that as a hint to get going.

"Well, we'll leave you two have alone time together." Satoko smiled in a teasing way.

"Goodbye." Shoto noticed after he said that that Michi wouldn't let Toya leave. He kept rubbing against him and trying to follow him. "Toya, you can hand Michi to me."

Toya lifted Michi up. He gently placed the creature on Shoto's lap. He rubbed the cat's head. "Keep my brother on his toes."

Shoto pulled Michi closer and ran his thumb through his fur. He looked towards Satoko and repeated what Toya said. "Keep MY brother on his toes."

Those words made Satoko's face lit up. "I've been working on him." Her hand playfully ruffled his fluffy hair. She put on a teasing and loving grin. "Right?"

"Right." He smiled too. "There's never a dull moment with her around, so you don't have to worry about that."

Despite the still present ache in his heart, Shoto managed a smile. It would take a while for him to be entirely trusting of Toya, but he was starting to warm up to him more after their conversation. His anxiety was beginning to fade. "That's good."

After exchanging hushed goodbyes, the door shut. Momo didn't even say anything. She had fallen asleep on Shoto. Her head was sliding a little due to the weight.

Shoto moved his arms around Momo, causing Michi to move into a curled up position beside Shoto's head on the back of the couch. Shoto lowered his head closer to Momo as he held her tighter. His eyes closed with a gentle sigh. He knew that she couldn't hear him, but he said it anyway. "I love you."