Misfortune Route - Chapter 5

Lady Nagant waved her hand slowly. "That's basically what happened. It was a real mess."

"I don't get it. I thought I was doing the right thing this whole time. I'm not sure anymore." He then looked at her. "I guess we're both being used, huh? Just like little puppets to be recycled at their will."

The hero commission- If it should be called that. It's truly malicious and controlling. Eerily enough, it seemed cultic the way they handle things.

She swallowed the uncomfortable lump in her throat. It seemed like she was trying to force her emotions down to keep from getting to the point of crying. She turned her face away from him. "Everyone starts out idolizing these pro heroes. The higher up ones like you are celebrities, basically. You get the public attention and fool them with your appearance. It's particularly useful on kids."

She smiled sadly at the thought of her younger self. She was so innocent when it came to the corruption. All she wanted was to be a hero. "The kids with the most love for heroes are often times the ones who suffer the most at the hands of them. It's cruel, isn't it?"

"Heroes shouldn't be this way." Hawks shuddered at the thought. Maybe they were all blind and naive growing up.

Maybe he was just blinded by it even with Satoko around. Was there really no hope?

It was all too confusing to him that it was haunting him. He shifted himself in his seat like he was about to head out.

All he wanted to do was run away from it all. Not have any of these issues or responsibilities. It was all too overwhelming that he wanted to have a moment to forget. Even going home to Satoko would be hard on him, but Lady Nagant doesn't even know her existence.

"I never asked to be a celebrity, but here we are." He finally stood up. "Not any of this. It really is cruel like you said."

She looked at him again. Her smile seemed a little less sad than before. She appeared to be more genuinely happy. "Hold on. Would you mind getting a drink with me before we part ways? Might as well take advantage of the fact that we can be open with each other, yeah?"

(She's asking me out?) Hawks halted for a moment.

His gaze looked towards her for a moment. Lady Nagant was actually a stunning woman. Hawks knew that before, but never thought she'd be interested in him.

A man and a woman going out for a drink is no other than a small date. Satoko crossed his mind for a moment, but when temptation comes to play like this. It's hard to say no.

Especially the way she was looking at him. With all this stress, his decisions are becoming sloppy. Careless to the point where he wanted to forget about the pain he has with Satoko.

"I don't see why not." He nodded.

...

The bar they went to was small. The two had low weight drinks as they chatted with each other. The two were both in higher spirits and laughing over fond memories.

Not one instance did Hawks bring up Satoko. His guilt was clouded with how much fun it was to be around Lady Nagant.

His head rested on his cheek as he looked towards her in a teasing way. "It's nice to get away like this. Never thought you'd ask me out like this." This was wrong. So wrong. But he didn't stop. "You must really like me, huh?"

She chuckled. In her eyes, Hawks was really a gorgeous man. He was what she imagined an angel might look like. Many women seemed to think that, so she got a sense of satisfaction from the fact that he was at her side like that. "Of course I do. You seem to be fond of me too."