Chapter 24

The baby's heartbeat still echoed inside of her head. When did that heart decide to stop?

He wrapped his arms around her. The aching in his heart became stronger once again, but he did his best to hold back from crying. He wanted to be strong for her. "You didn't do anything to cause this."

He thought of everything that she had been through. She was abused. Abandoned. Hurt by so many people, including him at some point. Who knows what happened to her while she was homeless? She could have even more trauma that he didn't even know about.

She didn't deserve it. She didn't deserve to suffer the loss of a baby on top of everything else. Couldn't she get a break?

For the first time in his life, Toya completely stopped thinking about himself. The pain that he felt from the loss barely crossed his mind. He wanted nothing more than to stop any more pain from ever reaching Satoko. He wanted her to live a long and happy life full of smiles. Was that really so much to ask for? Was it too much for that incredible, strong woman to live a life of happiness?

Her arms wrapped around him. Her body shook against him as her tears soaked into his shirt. "I'm sorry... I could have saved them! Somehow!"

Why did the doctors say her symptoms was normal?

Her own instinct, she knew that deep down, something was wrong. But she tried to be careful. She even ate healthier, tool her prenatals on time and didn't push herself like she usually does.

Why wasn't it enough?

Even though this was unplanned, she embraced having a baby with the man she loves so dearly. She had all of these plans in her head.

Once they found out the baby's gender, she wanted a little party like how Americans do. To be even surprised would have been thrilling.

The next thing she wanted to do was take pictures of her belly as milestones. It's strange how someone like her actually wanted to get into that stuff. But she wanted to be the best mother she could be.

Those milestone stickers are just stashed away in a drawer somewhere. Never to be used.

She could imagine the look on Toya's face where she gives birth. What a beautiful moment.

But that will never come. They never could meet their first child.

"I'm just bringing you more pain... Why...?" She bawled. "I really am useless."

"You couldn't have done anything." He couldn't stop himself from crying anymore. He had already cried once that day, but he needed to again. "They were always going to die regardless of if you had done anything differently. That gynecologist was the one who told us that everything was fine and gave us false hope."

She could feel her eyes starting to burn more. "Don't hold yourself back. I would hate for you to."

She meant him crying. Bottling up would harm himself more. It would make her feel worse if he didn't cry for her sake.

It didn't matter, she already lost so much blood. That pain was nothing compared to the wound in her own heart. Her chest felt like it was aching.

"You're suffering too because of me." She wept. Not only that, she's not the only parent. He's the father. His pain is just as valid as hers.

"You're not making me suffer." He squeezed her gently as he let out a choked sob. "I'm suffering because we both lost someone we love. And it's not the fault of either of us."

"How could this happen..." Satoko cried harder. Hearing him cry was ripping her heart out, but at the same time, making her feel less alone. Her tears was mixed with the blood coming out.