Chapter 12

Head throbbing. Eyes straining from sensitivity to light. Satoko was stirring in her unconscious state. A sheer pain spread across her temples due to a headache. Her burn marks felt irritated as she struggled to move.

Her wrists are tightly tied up. So are her ankles against what feels like a chair.

(I can't move...)

When her vision finally adjusts, she noticed Nozomi is there.

Confused and aggravated, she glared at her. "Who the heck are you? Untie me!"

She tried using her quirk, but to her surprise... It didn't work. Her face went pale from that moment. (What...)

Nozomi was seemingly unarmed, but in a world where most people had superpowers, practically anything was possible. Some people didn't even need weapons to be extremely dangerous.

Her outfit was a dress consisting of two different types of fabric. The fabric at the top was smooth and black with long sleeves. The waist area was a red and black checkered fabric that was held together as tightly as she desired by black lace. The skirt was also made of the checkered material, but it was more ruffled and uneven with longer parts in the front. She was also wearing black dress shoes.

She had curly black hair with blue at the bottom. It was perfectly taken care of with no frizz at all. Her yellow eyes had a distinct coldness in them.

The way she walked was with an air of confidence. It wasn't the cocky kind of confidence, but she seemed sure of her abilities. She wasn't worried at all when it came to her skill level.

"Well, Satoko, I'm glad I could finally meet you." She smiled. Her smile didn't seem sincere though. "I didn't even know you were my sister until recently. I must say, the way you stood up to that villain was pretty impressive."

"Sister?" Satoko squinted. "You have an odd way of introducing yourself." She glared. In her position, she knows that this isn't some kind of happy reunion. She was on the highest defense. "Why's that even matter?! What do you want with me?"

"Let me explain myself first. We have some catching up to do, that's for sure. I'm sure you're just dying to know what I've been up to," she said sarcastically. "First and foremost...I never wanted to be a hero. I didn't want to be part of a system that was so harmful. But I gave in anyway. No use resisting what our parents wanted. You were lucky to be abandoned. At least you had a chance to choose who you wanted to be."

Nozomi sighed. "They had such high expectations for me. When I couldn't meet those expectations, the abusive nature that our father had started to really shine through. I felt that I couldn't get away from it, though, so here we are now. Even though I'm the youngest pro hero, I hate what I do. The only benefit is that I can get away with all kinds of things. I can 'justify' anything without facing punishment. I can even get paid for it!"

"Ha..." Satoko started laughing. It wasn't something humorous, but it was a painful, mocking laughter. "If you think being abandoned was lucky, you must be senile."

All the memories kept coming back from her head. Like it was triggering her. "You won't know what it's like to cry for help. To soil your pants when you had no bathrooms to go to while being a child. To nearly starve to death enough to see your own bones. Eating literal GARBAGE in order of survival!"

She kept shaking her head like it was a cruel joke. Her voice became angrier. "Not only that, I had to fight to live. Deal with disgusting men. Had to steal to be able to make it through another day. Sleep on the dirty and disgusting ground! And you have the nerve to be a 'hero' to take advantage of the system like it's a game to you?! Choose who I want to be?!! I never had a choice as I'm still being dragged around everywhere I go!"