Shigaraki's Route - Chapter 3

"Melissa? Why did you want to talk to us like this?" Ochako asked.

Ochako, Katsuki, Izuku, and Momo had all been asked by Melissa to talk after the other students were asleep. All of them were exhausted from crying, but Momo was the worst.

"I'm sorry to keep you up like this." Melissa forced a smile. "I was rewatching the news reports of the incident and...I remembered something. Dabi looks a lot like Todoroki, doesn't he? And his quirk is similar too. He must have had some sort of personal reason to do this, so..."

Melissa's voice trailed off. Her eyes filled up with tears. "Sorry, sorry. I just...should I really be here? I'm not even in this class and yet I've been hanging out with you all like I am. Now this happened and...do I really have a right to continue spending time with the rest of you? Do I even have a right to feel sad about all of this when I barely knew Todoroki?"

Melissa didn't have the chance to spend time with them as much as she wanted to. During the day, they had classes. Melissa kept up with her own work sent from her school while they did that. She usually finished early, so All Might would keep her company when she wasn't attending the support course workshop. Sometimes he took her to different places to eat or let her explore different stores so that she could have fun while the others weren't around. She always thought of the students at UA and how their days were going.

After school hours was what she really looked forward to. That's when she could talk to her new friends again. She liked to hang out with Izuku or help Ochako 'terrorize' Katsuki as Aizawa liked to call it. Their way of terrorizing him was playing a game similar to tag and ganging up on him so that he was outnumbered and had to admit defeat. He really only ever admitted defeat to make Ochako happy though.

Melissa also wanted to get to know Momo more, but she was usually spending time with Shoto. That was partially why Melissa didn't know Shoto that well. She knew a lot about him, but she didn't actually know him as a person.

She knew that he liked those strawberry yogurt drinks. She knew that he liked his soba cold with wasabi and green onions. That his sneezes sounded like a cat and that he got oddly shy around Momo. She knew all of those things, but she still didn't know him. It filled her with such guilt and sadness that she could never truly know him like she could the others.

"You do have a right." Izuku let out a shaky sigh. "He was.... too young."

His eyes squeezed shut. He recalled going over the Todoroki residence with Katsuki once. Shoto's family had talked about their brother, Toya, who apparently had died.

Melissa's theory may be onto something that Dabi was connected to him. Dabi could... no, WAS Toya.

Katsuki was silent. He never yelled ever since Shoto had died. Even though he told Shoto, from time to time, they weren't friends. That was a lie. He cursed himself in his head that Shoto should still be alive.

Since Shoto is.... gone.... Izuku told them everything he knows. The abuse Shoto dealt with. The link it could be with Toya.

Abruptly, Momo stood up, nearly knocking the chair behind her. She had no idea Shoto had such a life like that. Her eyes were red and puffy from crying. More tears, somehow, came out.

"It's unforgivable if 'Toya' did this out of revenge." Momo's voice shook. "The League of Villains may take more lives. No. They will take more. Because that's who they are. Monsters."

"Not all of them are," Izuku shook his head. "Takahashi-"

"Takahashi has a quirk that could have stopped him! What was she doing?!" Momo yelled so uncharacteristically. It wasn't like her to snap, but this grief was making her a different person. "Villains don't care about lives! They only care about their petty goals!!"