Chapter 11: Friendly Neighborhood Hustler

Katya

Katya found herself between Sam and Bucky again, trying to be subtle with her wound. It didn't hurt that much, and it was more an inconvenience than a real injury, but it still sucked. Of course, when she brushed some hair out of her face, Bucky's eyes fell onto her bloody hand. Sometimes it really sucked, being unable to hide things from your friends.

''You're bleeding?'' he frowned, attracting everyone's attention to her.

She refrained from rolling her eyes, not in the mood to deal with anyone's worry or overprotectiveness. ''The bullet just grazed me,'' she answered curtly, staring out the windscreen, which she had a perfect view off. 

If it had rained, it would have made it all even better. At least she'd have something to listen to, instead of every little shuffle of feet and hands. The silence drove her crazy, but Zemo had stopped talking and nobody took his place. 

The closer they came to High Town, the cleaner the city got. Less litter on the side of the road, more lights, nicer dressed people, bigger cars and better-looking houses. The elite of Madripoor definitely lived here. But when Sharon stopped in front of a very fancy building, by far the fanciest in this neighborhood, Katya was still surprised. 

And that didn't change when they followed the blonde woman inside. The building was something you would find in the better places of New York. Shiny black floors, expensive leather couches in what appeared to be some kind of lobby or reception area, lots of glass and LED strips, artwork and collectables on display. 

Sam lowly whistled, just as impressed as her. ''Looks like breaking all those laws is treating you well.''

''I thought if I had to hustle, might as well enjoy the life of a real hustler. You know how much I'll get for a real Monet?'' Sharon said, without any trace of humor or sarcasm in her voice. Katya started to like this woman more and more. If you have to be a criminal, at least do it right, right?

Sharon got snapped. Katya knew that at least. (Probably why she forgot about her). So she must have worked her way up this food chain within five months after she snapped back? Because no way someone held the fort down for five years and just allowed her to come back, if she did all this between the Accords and the Snap. If that makes sense?

The weirdness of that timeline would never go away. 

It was really impressive, though. Sharon was smart, she was an agent, a spy. It shouldn't be so surprising that she managed all this, but it was. Katya was impressed at least. 

''Easy. Deactivate your hustle mode. You sell fake Monets,'' Sam scoffed, following her up the thick wooden stairs that clung to the walls of the huge square room. 

''No. She means real,'' Zemo backed her up, passing Sam as he stopped in front of another priceless painting. ''This gallery is specialized in stolen artwork. Monet. Van Gogh. Classics.''

Bucky nodded, knowing all about the lies the public got told every now and then. ''It's true. You know, half the artwork in museums like the Louvre is fake. Real stuff sits in places like this.''

Sam had trouble keeping the surprise off his face and looked at Katya, who had stopped to wait for them a couple steps up. She nodded and gestured to Bucky as to say: 'what he said'. Sam was smart, but could also be too gullible. ''Okay, guys, I see what you're doing. You're more worldly than good old Sam.''

Katya chuckled when he pulled out his phone - that he still had - ,looked up the painting in front of him, and widened his eyes. 

''Yeah. What's Google say?'' Bucky mocked him as he walked past.