Chapter 89: A Bit Of Chaos

July 8, 2024

After a busy night wrapped up in each other, the morning was spent packing their stuff and having a serious talk about everything that happened the day before. Katya promised to discuss everything with her therapist too, but the conversation with Natasha ended with the conclusion that the brunette was genuinely happy with everything she learned and saw, even her grandmother.

Encounters didn't have to be happy to turn out positively. Her grandmother simply didn't fit Katya's ideals or morals, and after learning how easily Alena had gotten rid of her daughter, Katya wasn't sure if that was a woman she was sad to lose. So, the chapter 'Alena' had closed before it was started.

Standing at her mother's grave had shaken some things loose in Katya's mind. But again, mostly positive. Combined with the diaries at home, she suddenly felt less alone. As if Irina read the words into her ear when her own eyes skimmed the pages. Katya didn't need to visit a medium to know that Irina's spirit hung around her at all times, she felt it, she felt protected more than ever.

This all led to a smiling and happy Russian, who felt that maybe finally, she could start to let things go. Things which had been keeping her thoughts hostage for decades. With clarity came peace, in this case. And Natasha saw her wife get lighter, and her smile brighter, as the day progressed.

Katya happily greeted Happy - ironic - when Tony's oldest friend picked them up in the jet, and buzzed with so much energy that she couldn't sleep on the eight-hour flight back to the States.

Natasha didn't understand how, pretty sure she'd worn her wife out during the early hours of the day, in the pitch black of night. Hell, she herself could no longer keep her eyes open while Katya rambled an entire story to her, shamelessly falling asleep in the middle of it. She definitely deserved the picture taken of her and sent into the Avengers group chat with the caption: ''Someone didn't find my story interesting enough to stay awake. Couch tonight.''

Agreeing texts poured in from the others, all supporting Katya in her decision, though they all knew she would curl up against her wife's body in their own comfy bed when the clock struck ten.

When they landed at Tony's house, she considered giving Natasha a rude awakening by shoving her out of her plane seat, but Katya didn't want to be that kind of bitch. Besides, the jet engines dying down was enough to wake Natasha up, groggily blinking her eyes open.

''Was I boring you?'' Katya confronted her instantly, giving her no chance to wake up.

''Hm?'' Natasha asked sleepily - disoriented- as she sat up in the seat. Pieces of hair stuck to her face and her cheeks were pink, a faint imprint of the seat stitching on her right cheekbone. She looked goddamn adorable like this, but Katya would not let that throw her off.

''You fell asleep in the middle of my story. Check your phone,'' she told her, getting up from her seat before Natasha's displeased outburst would come.

''What?'' The redhead scrambled for her phone, finding it in her pocket. It had blown up with notifications, a gasp falling off her lips when she saw the picture sneakily taken of her. ''Kat!'' She exclaimed, but Katya had started to disappear down the steps of the jet, smug laughter following her.

She rushed towards the Stark cabin in hopes of shaking off the swift footsteps following behind. If she wanted, Natasha could outrun her. Don't ask how they figured that out; it may include a stolen phone. Luckily, Maya had long spotted the jet and stepped down the porch upon seeing her mom approach, a huge smile on her face.

''Hi, honey!'' Katya yelled happily, waving as the blob of red started to make it into a jog. It may be the new perspective two days apart provided, but Maya suddenly looked so big, her long legs carrying her across the lawn surprisingly quick. She grew up so fast, reaching her moms' chins if she stood up straight, their short height not helping.