Chapter 37: Bowling Alley Shenanigans

Tuesday

Katya was the first one awake. Which wasn't a surprise because both Yelena and Natasha had been out of bed for hours last night, and Maya was in general the longest sleeper out of all. 

If it hadn't gotten so late yesterday and she wasn't exhausted, she'd have made pancakes or waffels or something more fancy than cereal. But honestly, she didn't feel up for it this morning. 

With her bowl in her hand, she scooped breakfast into her mouth while staring out the kitchen window, her back to the doorway. Which was a mistake when her mind was so busy it stopped paying attention to her surroundings. So she jumped when a sudden voice behind her greeted her.

''Morning.''

''Jesus,'' Katya exclaimed, barely stopping herself from choking on her cereal. Spinning on her heels, she stared straight into Yelena's sheepish face. ''Et tu? Nat is always silent as shit too.'' She placed her own breakfast down and moved around the kitchen to make some for Yelena as well.

Yelena chuckled humorlessly, reaching for the bag of dog food she placed on the counter yesterday, pouring some into the bowl she also brought. Her dog dove into it like it hadn't eaten in days, scaring Liho out of the kitchen.

''You lost your touch. I didn't expect that of an Avenger.'' Her hair was wet from the shower, and despite the circles under her eyes, she looked awake. Leave it up to a spy to be able to survive on only a couple hours of sleep.

Katya threw her a quick glare as she poured the milk. ''Ex-Avenger. I'm officially off-duty. Sam can clean the messes now.'' Grabbing a spoon from the drawer, she placed the bowl in front of Yelena, who gave her a brief smile for it.

''If I remember correctly, you were on trial on national television only a couple weeks back. For breaking a terrorist out of prison? Sounds very off-duty to me,'' she smirked. This time, Katya didn't glare at her, but she did sigh as she brewed some new coffee, since the pot she had made was cold by now.

''That mission didn't go to plan. But at the same time, it was the last one,'' she explained, reaching for her own breakfast again as she shrugged and leaned against the counter. ''I got too much at stake at home. Getting shot at suddenly wasn't so much fun anymore.''

''Yeah, what would we do without you?'' Yelena mumbled teasingly, keeping her expression surprisingly plain. Katya chuckled and shook her head. She liked Yelena's company. Her energy was good, quiet. It didn't feel like she intruded the peace. 

The only thing audible in the kitchen for a while was their spoons clanking against the bowls, and the coffee machine doing its very best to create something delicious. It smelled good at least.

''Have you decided what you want to do yet? Or do you already have a job I don't know anything about?'' Katya eventually asked. Yelena couldn't sit at home and do nothing for years. She needed to get a job eventually.

Yelena kept her eyes strictly on her breakfast. ''It's not easy to apply to jobs when the only thing I can put on my resume is 'assassin'.''

''Maybe you should look into what Sam does if you want to stay into the intelligence business. Private contract stuff,'' Katya suggested. They could always put in a good word for her. ''Or if you want to leave all that behind, maybe something with animals? Walk the dogs for a local shelter? You'll find your way.'' If she knew one thing, it was that.