Chapter 104: Insert Declarations Of Love

A Monday upload? Who is she? You know me; as usual, not proof-read. Really hope you enjoy! I don't hate this for a change :)

May 28, 2026

Katya

The afterparty was in full swing, the dance floor in the front yard crowded as the DJ played a mix of hits ranging from the 80s to songs released this year. People were well and truly wasted, clinging onto more beer and more cocktails as they yelled the lyrics, their voices carrying out over the lake, which was beautifully lit by drifting lanterns, hundreds of them.

After she changed into her second dress—a much simpler, yet still elegant white one—Katya stood on the dock for a while to watch the body of water in awe. The idea to illuminate it with the lanterns had come to them during a rewatch of Rapunzel Maya chose for movie night, months back.

Originally, they'd dismissed it, rendering it too much trouble, but when half your friends can fly and drop the small rafts with the light anchors in a perfect grid pattern without getting drenched, perhaps that was a sign to do it. And she was glad they did.

A large outdoor heater stood by her side, radiating pleasantly warm rays and a comfortable orange glow of light. It neared eleven and the sun had gone down a few hours ago, so the nighttime chill had truly started to settle in. Not a problem for the sweaty bodies in the crowd, but Katya was leaving for her honeymoon tomorrow, and having a cold while strolling through an Instagram-worthy Greek town was not something that sounded pleasant.

For a good fifteen minutes, everyone left her alone in that serene spot of the world, granting her a break from all the chaos. It was nice, but Katya didn't find herself disappointed when a set of silent footsteps sounded behind her, approaching slowly, carefully. Until a broad figure, clad in light grey pants and a white blouse, stopped at her side, his left hand glistening in the moonlight.

A smile tugged on her lips before he even spoke.

''Mind if I join you?''

''Not at all,'' Katya replied just as calmly. ''Needed a break from all the dancing?'' She teased half-heartedly. And judging by the unimpressed side-glance he threw her way, Bucky did not think she was all that amusing. They both knew he cringed at the modern-day music and jumping around people considered dancing. ''If you're looking for a capable partner, I happen to possess a solid Mambo and Foxtrot. And don't think I can't do it in this dress.''

A brief flicker of surprise passed through Bucky's eyes, and Katya felt his sure composure falter before he picked it back up. It happened anytime someone said or did something that showed they were considerate of him, of who he used to be, of where he came from. Nobody else in this crowd had thought to offer him a dance the way he knew and preferred; 40s style.

Maybe, Katya thought, that's part of why he liked—tolerated—her to the point where he actively sought her out.

Bucky turned back to the lake. ''I'll keep it in mind.'' He said curtly, perfectly indifferent. It was an answer Katya was happy with, though the chances of him taking her up on that offer were next to zero.

He slowly sipped from the beer bottle he'd brought along, appearing perfectly content in the silence that followed between them as the music boomed into their backs. The contrast between what was in front of them and behind them could not be bigger, and Katya smiled at the thought that they'd both sought out the quiet.

"I really appreciate you coming, you know? I know it's not your crowd or your type of party."

She turned her head to look at him properly for the first time, noting that he hadn't changed much since the last time she saw him. The same frown lines adorned his forehead, permanently etched in, and sorrow hung around him like a cloud. But his dark circles were fainter, and his skin had a bit more color, a sign he had been sleeping better and eating well.