Chapter 108: (Street) Fights

March 28, 2028

Maya

It was a near copy of two weeks ago, Maya standing in front of Brooklyn's apartment door with a pounding heart. This time, however, she knew what to expect when she knocked. Well... kind of.

Brooklyn's dad's offer of watching a game on Sundays stuck with her throughout the past two weeks. And while it wasn't so much about the game itself as spending time with her now favorite blonde, she'd grasped the opportunity with both hands—possibly too eager, but she needed to see more of free-time Brooklyn.

Things at school hadn't really changed. They both hung out with different friend groups, sat at different lunch tables, stayed in their previously acclaimed seats during class, and Maya remained happily invisible while Brooklyn worked her popularity status; it just happened to work out like that.

But their new friendship was not a secret. Brooklyn would find Maya if they both had a free period to strike up a conversation or do homework together, or she would stop for a brief conversation if they crossed paths in the hallway. They also texted a lot, daily.

But what Maya mostly liked is that the girl didn't drag her into the spotlight. She respected her wishes to stay in the shadows and Maya hadn't even asked her to. That's a green flag if she ever saw one.

So here she was on this fine Sunday, in some jeans and a sweater, with a bag of drinks and snacks in her hands, staring at the apartment door until it opened. And when it finally did, she smiled involuntarily, her heart calm at once.

''Hey!'' Brooklyn greeted her happily, her eyes widening at the large bag in Maya's arms. ''Oh, wow, what did you bring?'' She quickly shuffled back to let the redhead in, holding the door open. Maya gratefully stepped in, getting enveloped by the apartment's warmth.

''Something to eat and drink while we watch.''

''That's so sweet, you didn't have to. Let me help you, though.'' She closed the door and took the bag from Maya's hands, their fingers brushing as she did. It wasn't the first time they'd accidentally touched, but Maya's breath got stuck in her throat nonetheless. It was unfair how something so small could throw her off so easily.

''Thanks,'' she managed to say, kicking her shoes off and hanging her coat on the coat rack. Then she followed Brooklyn into the small kitchen, the TV reverberating through the apartment. Harry must have the sports channel on already, Maya had watched it enough times to recognize the music and the voice of the commentators.

''Oh, popcorn! I love popcorn,'' Brooklyn exclaimed as she emptied the contents of the bag on the counter, turning the package around in her hands. Something about seeing her so domestic, in a light brown colored sweatsuit and her hair up in a messy bun, unpacking groceries, hit very different. But Maya forced herself to simply store the popcorn information in her brain and not get ahead of herself. ''And Doritos, and Cherry Coke? You're a girl after my own heart.''

Maya tried to be casual and shrugged, but pride surged through her, even if it was pure luck that she managed to pick the right things. ''Didn't know what you liked, so I raided our pantry and took it all.''

''Hope your moms don't want a snack tonight,'' Brooklyn joked, putting the soda in the fridge.

''I'm actually convinced they have a secret stash somewhere, mainly consisting of chocolate,'' Maya said. ''They used to be spies, they have stuff hidden everywhere.''

That piqued Brooklyn's interest, her blue eyes lighting up. ''Like what?''

Maya's mind went back to the time she saw a box of cereal in the very back of a cabinet and pulled it out to investigate it, only to find it filled with passports and other documents. Passports with different names and nationalities.