Chapter 110: Daylight

May 15, 2028

Maya

Maya could lie and say she wasn't naturally an anxious person, but she would be fooling herself. She just wasn't someone who didn't worry about things and acted super unbothered about going new places or meeting new people. Her shy nature didn't help either.

But never had she expected to be so nervous to go on a date with Brooklyn. She knew her, had known her closely for three months. They were friends, it's not like it was new. But when she woke up this morning, her insides twisted uncomfortably and not even cuddles from Mimosa could settle her down.

It was also weird because she was actually really looking forward to it. In her eyes, this date has been a long time coming, the next step in the relationship that she badly wanted to take. And also, doing any type of activity—even sitting silently on the couch, scrolling through social media—with Brooklyn excited her.

But this date... it would be the end of her.

What to expect? Maya had no clue. She knew it wasn't going to be a standard dinner and a movie. Brooklyn was too considerate, too creative for that. Maybe something active? A game hall or an escape room? See, it only made her more nervous speculating, but she couldn't stop doing it.

Luckily, her moms had been gone all day—something about Katya wanting new clothes for the summer—so she didn't have to hide her restless self. Hopefully soon, she could tell them about the girl she'd fallen for.

Gratefully, she'd endure their teasing if it meant she could finally explain why she'd been so happy lately. They would be so thrilled. God knows Katya would. She had been subtly pleading with Maya to get a girl as her lover instead of a boy. Brooklyn would get the warmest welcome ever into this family.

When a car pulled into the driveway, Maya's heart jumped and then started pounding so hard against her ribcage she worried it may break free. She resisted the urge to look out the kitchen window in fear of being seen and kept pacing back and forth in the living room, dragging a path into the rug. Liho gave her weird looks, but what did the cat know about dates?

Actually, she may know as much about them as Maya, because this was her first one, ever.

She looked good, at least she knew that. Not too fancy that it looked desperate or really extra, but she had pulled some nicer clothes from the back of her closet that were mostly reserved for parties and family get-togethers, her more expensive pants and shirts. Never would she admit to anyone that she'd asked FRIDAY for help, consulting the UI like it was a friend.

She jumped when the doorbell rang, counting to three before heading over, and her breath caught in her throat when her eyes landed on the girl on the porch.

Like it was fate, or maybe just a freaky coincidence, Brooklyn had brought something with her.

A rose.

Of all the flowers she could have chosen, of all the things she could have brought with her. Roses.

Brooklyn saw her stare and smiled sheepishly. ''Is it too cliché? I thought about tulips, but... I don't know.'' It was so cute how her confidence wavered and she got unsure too. ''Reminded me of your hair.''

Maya shook her head, already feeling her traitorous cheeks grow warm. ''No. No, I love it.'' Her fingers wrapped around the stem and carefully touched the petals. ''Thank you.''

The blonde relaxed. ''You're welcome.''

''Let me put it in a vase real quick.''

Leaving the door open, Maya hurried to find a tall, small vase. Not only to keep the flower alive, but also to steal a second to process the way Brooklyn looked. Maya wasn't the only one who had put in an effort to look nice. It reminded her of the first time she saw her at that party at Camila's, her style slightly elevated from the one at school; flared pants, a tight crop top, and a sleek ponytail.