Chapter 35: Pizza Swap

Monday

''When is she getting here?'' Maya whined. She had been sitting on the porch the entire day, only going inside to eat or use the bathroom. 

It was warm again. Not as warm as yesterday, but a beautiful day. Her leg bounced up and down impatiently, and with every small sound, her head shot in the direction of the driveway, only to slouch when it was a bird and not Yelena's car.

Katya and Natasha had been chuckling and shaking their heads at her behavior. Behind her back of course. They didn't want her to feel stupid for being so excited. It was cute, after all. 

''She texted me a little past seven that she was leaving. It's almost a nine-hour drive, Maya,'' Katya called from the kitchen, making herself and her kid something to drink, since that was the last thing on Maya's mind right now. 

''So... Four 'o clock?'' Maya frowned, giving Katya a pout when she sat next to her, placing the drinks on the table. ''But that's so late.''

Katya chuckled, draping her arm over the backrest and playing with Maya's curls. ''Patience. She'll be here.''

Around four, a car approached the house. Since it was always quiet in the neighborhood and the road wasn't paved, the wheels made a lot of noise on the gravel. It could only mean one thing: Yelena was here.

''She's here!'' Maya yelled, in case the two people inside the house hadn't seen or heard it yet. She jumped up from the porch couch and moved to the steps, but a wave of insecurity and shyness washed over her, which prevented her from running up to the blonde and hugging her.

Yelena slammed the car door shut and moved around to open the back door, letting her dog out. It tippled around her excitingly, staring up at her like it expected something. But Yelena paid no attention to it and got her bag from the trunk, swinging it over her shoulder.

Natasha walked past Maya and Katya, down the stairs and the driveway, meeting Yelena somewhere halfway with a huge smile on her face. It was adorable to see, and Katya's heart grew ten sizes, brightly smiling herself. 

''сестра (sister),'' Yelena greeted her, stopping in her tracks to receive the hug she was about to get. She looked great. Her slightly wavy hair pulled into a high ponytail on her head, jeans and sneakers on the bottom. Most of all, however, the look in her eyes. They were much lighter than the last time Katya saw her. 

''младшая сестра (little sister),'' Natasha said right back without any hint of hesitation, pulling her into a tight but brief hug. 

Katya slowly sauntered up to them, refusing to interrupt their moment. Only when they pulled back and Yelena noticed her standing there, a few feet away, did she smile and bring her in for a hug as well.

''Sister-in-law,'' Katya chuckled into her ear. Oh how different this greeting was to their first one back in Budapest. That one involved guns. This one hugs.

''Katariina,'' she got back, the humor clear as day. Katya threw her a playful glare when they let go, giving her shoulder a gentle shove. Yelena was one of the only people who pronounced her birthname correctly, with the Russian accent. Most people didn't bother and used the English pronunciation, which sounded too elegant. 

''Where's my niece?''

They turned around to see Maya crouched down at the bottom of the porch steps, petting a very excited dog, its tail wiggling happily by all the attention. 

''Maya! You want to say hello?'' Natasha called out, the girl whipping her head up. Her cheeks grew red when she saw everyone staring at her. Reluctantly, she nodded and stood, giving the dog one last pet. ''She's a bit shy meeting new people. She'll open up if you give her time,'' Natasha quickly muttered to Yelena. Not that she needed to tell her that, Yelena could read people too.