Chapter 55: Ways Of Love

Friday

10 days till Christmas

The front door clicked shut, a set of keys thrown on the side table in the hallway, followed by Natasha's voice. ''God, traffic was terrible. Hope it's better tonight when I drive her to her friend's place on the other side of town.''

It was Friday, the last day of this hectic work week, day seven of Katya's rehabilitation into society. It had its ups and downs for sure, but Natasha hadn't lied when she promised to do this together.

Every mountain Katya ran into, which looked too high to climb, Natasha took her by the hand and supported her to the top. Because of her, it was possible to get through the days.

''What friend?" Katya closed the fridge, glancing over her shoulder as Natasha came into the kitchen. "What do you mean?''

''Maya has that sleepover party. At Liling's house," she explained patiently.

Katya's mental illnesses came with a bit of forgetfulness and confusion sometimes. That very same fridge she just closed, had been left open countless times before. Or she'd forget what Maya told her, or what Natasha asked her to do.

Not harmful, just frustrating for herself. And whenever someone reminded her, her eyes would light up in realization like they did now.

''Oh, yeah, right. I forgot about that. Did she pack her stuff yet?''

''We need a calendar for all her activities,'' Natasha laughed, accepting a slice of the apple Katya just cut. ''And no, I don't think she did yet. Believe she was planning on doing that after getting back from school.''

Wide-eyed, Katya spun around. ''But there's barely any time to pack between all the driving around and dinner.'' Part of her anxiety: constant worry.

After rounding the kitchen island, Natasha took her hands in hers. ''Take a breath. It's her responsibility to think about these things too. It'll be a rush, but after we get her to her friend's place, things will quiet down, and we'll have the house to ourselves until tomorrow around lunchtime.''

''That sounds good." Katya breathed out, giving her hands a squeeze before dropping them. "I think her favorite pajamas are in the laundry basket to be folded. I'll get those. Leaving the rest for her to stress about.''

''Good. She'll learn from that." Natasha smiled, gratefully accepting the quick kiss that was delivered to her lips. This day felt like a good one. Hopefully, it stayed that way.

Katya was halfway out the kitchen when she stopped and turned back, piquing Natasha's interest. ''Actually, can I talk to you first? I really need to discuss something.''

It had been on her mind the whole morning, and putting it off was the easy road, but the easy road is what got her in this position in the first place. She needed to speak it out loud, so someone could be her incentive, make sure she took this next step in her recovery.

''Okay.'' Dutifully, Natasha sat down on a barstool, clasping her hands together. Did those words worry her? Yes, but that didn't show on her face.

It wasn't easy to think with Natasha's interested eyes on her, but Katya managed to transform her thoughts into words. ''I have been thinking, and running and hiding from my past obviously did not work.'' She took a breath, uneasily fiddling with her hands. ''So, I have decided, together with Angelina, that I need to reconnect with... someone... that I wasn't planning on ever seeing or talking to again.'' Hesitantly, she looked up. ''But I need you to be there, just in case.'' 

Natasha smiled softly, her shoulders relaxing. ''Yes, of course. I told you, whatever you need.'' Katya exhaled in relief, trying to flash her own smile. ''So, you're just gonna call her?'' The brunette's stunned expression made her chuckle. ''It's kinda obvious who you mean.''