Chapter 57: Christmas (Part 1)

''Mom! Mama! Wake up, it's Christmas!''

Katya's head shot up from the pillow. Adrenaline rushed through her veins until she realized that the voice and the knocking on the door came from her daughter.

''It's six AM, child!'' She yelled back through the door, voice cracking. At least Maya remembered to wake them up before going downstairs. But did she really have to do that so loudly and so early on what would be one of the most challenging days of her recovery so far?

Natasha chuckled at her morning grumpiness, stretching her arms above her head.

''I want to see the presents!''

A loud sigh left Katya's lips, head falling back on the pillow. ''Fine. Give us five minutes to wake up. Do not go downstairs!''

''I will wait on the stairs!'' Her footsteps slowly faded away, the steps creaking softly.

Natasha laughed at another petty grumble Katya let out once she buried herself deeper into the bed. It was the same old thing every day. Groaning at the alarm and the refusal to accept the start of a new day.

But this time, Natasha didn't let her adjust to consciousness. With one hand on her shoulder, she slowly pulled Katya onto her back and climbed on top. 

Hovering over her on her hands and knees, Natasha kissed her forehead and let her lips linger there. ''С Рождеством, моя любовь, (Merry Christmas, my love),'' she whispered, and a happy smile grew on Katya's face, even with her eyes still closed. 

''С Рождеством, (Merry Christmas),'' Katya breathed, blindly reaching for the sides of her neck and pulling her in for a kiss. Long red hair tickled her face as their lips moved together slowly, noses occasionally brushing.

The tone Natasha used made her so happy. Usually, Christmas was a chore she didn't want to do, something that had to be survived and needed to pass as quickly as possible. But today, her smile was real, green eyes shining with excitement. Today was different.

Lovingly, Natasha brushed their lips together, lazily gazing at her. ''Thank you for my gift.'' God, her morning voice was pretty, and sometimes had the faintest Russian accent laced through it.

''I- eh... we just woke up? What did I give you?'' Katya asked confused, brows furrowing.

''You.'' Natasha muttered. ''You're the gift.''

Katya scoffed loudly and shoved her off, causing Natasha to laugh out loud as she fell on the bed beside her. ''God, get that cheesy romantic ass of yours off of me.'' Her cheeks were red, but that wasn't allowed to be seen. Her wife would only feel more smug.

Maybe she could blame the cold which seeped through the walls. Winter had fully set in, snow had lain on the ground for days, and they had to un-ice the Audi multiple times.

Shaking her sleepiness off, Katya scooted to the edge of the bed and planted her feet on the ground. But a distressed voice behind her asked, ''Baby, what about cuddles?''

Yeah, Christmas clearly wasn't a day Natasha hated anymore. Not if cuddles were on her agenda instead of isolating herself.

A very cute pout greeted her when Katya turned to look over her shoulder. ''No time for cuddles. Your spoiled child wants to unwrap gifts.'' Her joke was met with a light glare. Cuddles in the morning were Natasha's fuel for the day, and she was not happy Maya robbed her of it.

However, when Katya stood and stretched her entire body, arms above her head and balancing on her tippy toes, Natasha's face lit up. She wasn't sure what caused her to act - maybe the exposed skin as her pajama blouse rose up - but she stretched out her arm to slap her ass mercilessly.