Chapter 81: Three Little Words

June 21, 2024

23 days post-accident

Katya had heard some stumbling in the bedroom and around the house, but hadn't paid any mind to it. Her empty bed was way too comfortable. She badly wanted to turn to her stomach, press her cheek into the pillow tightly and let the soft cotton swallow her alive, but that stupid cast prevented her from doing that. It got on her nerves a lot.

Something smelled absolutely amazing downstairs, the hood above the stove failing at its task to contain it. Eggs, bacon, and toast. Or something that smelled like that. It made Katya's stomach grumble, water running into her mouth. But she didn't move from the bed, instead snuggling more into it when she remembered it was a Saturday. Maya's soccer competition had reached the summer break, which meant no more rushing out at eight in the morning for games.

She tried not to think about what almost happened yesterday, the proof being the bag in the corner of the bedroom filled with clothes. That's not how Katya wanted to remember the day - if she ever wanted to remember it at all. The most important part was the result and getting Natasha to see the light. Even if the road there was very messy.

It felt different already. Hopeful? Lighter? It was difficult to describe. But imagine hearing your daughter giggle downstairs, followed by your wife's playful scolding while lying in the most comfortable bed ever, knowing it was a nicely warm temperature outside and the day would be spent with family.

Today would be a good one, she'd make sure of that. They all deserved it, Maya deserved it. The poor girl must have lost some trust in her parents yesterday, which made Katya feel worse than yelling at Natasha.

After a long while of pondering, the door cracked open softly, followed by an even softer voice. ''Kat? You awake?''

A smile curled on her lips, blinking her eyes open to the ceiling. ''Have been for a while.''

Sleepily, she pushed herself up on her elbows, her eyebrows shooting up at Natasha's attire when the door swung completely open. Denim shorts with a light pink airy blouse on top, tucked in. Her hair was draped loosely over her shoulders, and a wide smile lay on her lips, one which lit up her face in a way that made it seem like she was a completely different person.

If the outside represented the change on the inside - the behavioral one - then the day started promisingly.

''What's with the dreamy outfit?''

Natasha's smile widened as she glanced down at herself, ''Glad you think it's dreamy, because that's the vibe we're going for.''

Her words caused Katya to narrow her eyes in suspicion. ''We?''

Natasha just nodded mysteriously, a beautiful half-smirk on her lips that made Katya's heart skip a beat. ''Get ready and meet us downstairs. You need help in the bathroom?''

''No, I got it,'' Katya answered cautiously, very wary of what was going on here. But according to the excited twinkle in the redhead's eyes, it wasn't something to be scared of. In fact, she felt curiosity creeping up on her.

''Alright.'' With a quiet chuckle at Katya's confused expression, Natasha closed the bedroom door behind her and disappeared down the stairs.

It took the brunette another minute to shake her disorientation and get out of bed, dragging her feet into the bathroom. Now that her body had mostly healed and barely hurt anymore, she could shower herself. So after tying a plastic bag around her cast with the help of her teeth, she washed herself and blow-dried her hair afterwards, clenching her jaw to bear her aching arm.