Chapter 54: Better Days

Sunday

15 days till Christmas

Katya stirred awake. Not because of the light in the room - it stayed dark until half past eight these days - but because subconsciously, she felt someone watching her. A week ago, that would have freaked her out, but now, a smile pulled on her lips. She didn't have to open her eyes to know what Natasha's expression looked like. 

Good mornings were overrated, so Katya simply cuddled into her side further, pushing her face in her neck. The last thing on her mind was getting out of bed. It was too cozy and warm under the blankets, definitely with the freezing cold from outside seeping through the walls.

This always made her feel better, whether she was already happy, or really down. And the past few months, she could have really used this on days she didn't want to get out of bed. It was the thought of moments like these that pulled her though in the end. 

"I missed this," she murmured absentmindedly, knowing Natasha knew that she was awake.

Natasha smiled, running her fingertips up and down her back. "Missed pressing your freezing hands and feet against me last night?" she teased.

If anyone's feet should be cold though, it were Natasha's, with only her socks in the snow last night. But she was immune to the cold. That, and she had warmed her feet in front of the radiator afterwards, toes slightly blue.

But where she was always warm, Katya was always cold. Well, her feet, hands, and nose anyway.

"Has it ever been any different?" Katya slipped one of her cold hands under Natasha's t-shirt and pressing the palm to her stomach. The muscles tensed up from the cold shock before they relaxed again.

"No, and I don't want it to," she answered honestly. ''I missed this too. I missed you.''

Katya smiled wider at that, tangling their legs together more. Sometimes she wanted to get closer than what was physically possible.

''You're still wearing this,'' she noted, toying with the necklace Wanda had bewitched for them. That felt like a lifetime ago. That was another her.

Natasha patted around for it, as if she had forgotten it was still around her neck. Honestly, she hadn't taken it off at all. Not on purpose, but maybe somewhere in the back of her head, it had a reason. ''Oh, yeah, I am. I'll take it off.''

''No, don't. I don't need it anymore, I promise.'' But she had to be mindful of misusing it. Her fingers touching it now was innocent, because she felt calm herself, but whenever times would get tough, she'd have to warn herself to stay away from it. ''Did you talk to Wanda? How's she doing?''

Natasha hummed, the sound vibrating in her chest, under Katya's ear. ''She called every week and also sent over pictures. She's definitely showing now. Do you want to know what they're gonna be?''

Surprised, Katya perked up. ''Of course.''

''Two boys.'' Natasha chuckled, glancing down to catch her reaction. And it didn't disappoint.

''Poor Wanda. Two boys and an android to deal with.'' Katya's airy laugh bounced off the walls as she settled onto Natasha's chest again. She felt a tiny bit sorry for her friend. ''Did you tell her we'd love to babysit?''

Natasha raised an eyebrow. ''You hate babies.''

With an offended expression, Katya shot up again. ''I do not hate-''

''You were hesitant to visit Laura until Nathaniel was at least one.''

Katya scrunched up her nose, out of excuses. ''It just drives me crazy that they cry all the time.'' Natasha chuckled, content with simply watching her. ''What about names?''