Chapter 111: How You Get The Girl

May 15, 2028

Maya

Maya had never felt so giddy in her life. Her head was up in the clouds. Cloud nine, to be exact. Every time she glanced at Brooklyn in the seat next to her, the same word bounced around in her head.

Girlfriend. Girlfriend. Girlfriend.

It hadn't fully sunk in. That would come tonight when the adrenaline wore off. Then she'd have to press her face into a pillow to smother her squeals.

Right now, the world felt brighter, worries didn't exist, and she felt like she could take on the world. Her very first girlfriend, and an amazing one at that. Shame this one couldn't drive, though. Not with two hands, let alone one. A real shame, because Maya would have loved to hold her hand some more.

Time was up, though, because a little before eight PM, right when the sunlight started to change color, Brooklyn turned the car onto Romanoff-Petrova property. A female figure in gym leggings and a thick hoodie pushed a lawnmower across the front yard, earbuds playing a song that she quietly mouthed the words to.

Maya cursed inwardly when Natasha looked up to acknowledge the car. She may be across the yard and the car's windows may reflect the fading sunlight, but this was a spy they were dealing with. A spy who saw everything. A spy who was already narrowing her eyes attempting to figure out who this strange station wagon belonged to.

A goodnight kiss would not be happening now. The risk was too great. Maybe it was for the best, though. Maya's head felt dangerously light still, and another kiss could send her into a state of unconsciousness for real.

And now that would be embarrassing in front of her mom.

Brooklyn rolled the car to a stop surprisingly smoothly and then turned to Maya. ''I will text you later?'' She smiled softly, letting the engine run. Wordlessly, she had understood the situation.

''Okay.'' Maya smiled back. With an inhale of courage and pink cheeks, she sneakily reached across the middle console and took Brooklyn's hand in her own. At least Natasha couldn't see that. ''Again, I had a lot of fun today. Thank you.''

For one of the first times, it seems she had caught the blonde off guard, because color rose to her cheeks too. It was the most adorable sight. ''You're very welcome. I had fun too. You can plan the next one,'' she grinned teasingly.

Maya furrowed her brows. ''Next one?''

''The next date.'' Brooklyn tilted her head, her eyes glimmering. ''Unless you changed your mind about everything.''

''No! No, of course not.'' Maya turned bright red. Normally, she would have gotten it, but nothing in her head seemed to work anymore. ''I will be happy to plan it.''

"I'm looking forward to it." Brooklyn grinned. A bit of Maya's usual attitude came back when she rolled her eyes, which made the blonde laugh. "Now go. Your mom is starting to look suspicious." Natasha did indeed look ready to come over and press her nose against the window.

"Okay, okay." Maya chuckled, gathering her stuff and reaching for the door handle. She glanced over her shoulder one last time, savoring this moment and this feeling, when everything felt new and exciting. "See you later."

Brooklyn smiled. "Bye, girlfriend."

It was too late for Maya to dive back into the car. Not without it being obvious. Her one foot was already on the ground. She cursed Brooklyn quietly and tried desperately to hide her flusteredness behind her hair as she stood to face her mother, slamming the car door a bit too harshly.