Chapter 116: Ulterior Motives

July 13, 2028

Maya

JFK International Airport was a place everyone should try to avoid during the summer break. Not only were families leaving on vacation to sunnier, tropical destinations, but outsiders were also coming to New York to see the iconic landmarks. Bags, suitcases, trolleys, dogs, kids, people dragged all kinds of belongings with them as they rushed from terminal to terminal to catch their flight or catch a taxi. No one had any regard for their fellow travelers. Pushing people aside was completely normal here.

Maya was very overwhelmed. Crowds weren't her thing to begin with, and the sounds were so loud it drowned out every thought in her head. The speaker continued to give information about incoming and outgoing flights, but she could hardly hear it, so she and Harry were confined to a huge overhead screen to ensure that flight DL375 from Miami was still on time and landing in the same terminal.

The wait for this moment felt like months rather than two weeks. Maya had missed Brooklyn like crazy while she stayed with her aunt in Florida. They facetimed, sure, but she didn't want to distract her too much from relaxing and catching up with her aunt, so the contact had been less than she would have liked. She couldn't wait to hug her again and catch up on everything she missed.

Following Harry through the airport with a cardboard sign and a single rose in her hand, she tried to contain her pounding heart. Luckily, he was a firmly-built, decent-sized man, so he created a path for them while continuously looking over his shoulder to make sure she was still with him. By now, he cared about her like he did his own daughter, something that made her moms like him even more. They invited him over for dinner last week and had the best time laughing and joking around.

It was both really weird and very joyful to see.

''Okay, this is it.''

Not many people were waiting by the railing of this particular arrivals exit in terminal 4. A middle-aged couple, an older gentleman, and a woman alone. It made Maya self-conscious when they all glanced at her and the flower in her hand, undoubtedly wondering who she was waiting for and if Harry was her dad. Whatever they were thinking, it was probably wrong.

To tune them out, she pressed her stomach into the railing and looked at the screen above the door, watching the minutes count down until only five were left. Her stomach twisted and turned with excitement and impatience, her heart pounding louder, faster, every time the number changed to a lower one.

Five turned into four, and four turned into three, and Harry became restless too.

Maya glanced at his face and let out a soft laugh. He looked even more eager than she felt. Relieved in a sense, too. This was the first time Brooklyn flew to and from Florida alone. That's not nothing for a sixteen-year-old.

''I think you're even happier to have her back than I am.''

He laughed with her, taking his eyes off the doors for the first time in a while. ''It was so quiet in the house. I hated it. I really miss her when she's gone.''

Now that's something she could relate to.

''You should get a woman in the house,'' Maya teased. She hated being that person, but in all honesty, she did wish for Harry to find a kind, caring person like himself to brighten up his life. He deserved to feel loved in a way his daughter couldn't give him.

''Not you too,'' he groaned, making her laugh. ''Lyn keeps bugging me about dating, but I don't have the time for it.''

Maya grinned. ''That's a bad excuse. You have to make time for it.''