Chapter 40: Fun And Games

''Do you want to go on the rollercoaster with me?'' Maya nudged Katya when they passed one.

They had won more prizes at other booths and games. So many stuffed animals that they were at the point where they all carried at least two. Which was not easy when two teddy bears were human-sized.

Natasha had roped Yelena into a quick trip to the car park so they could stuff all those animals into the trunk and be emptyhanded for the rest of the afternoon.

Katya wondered how and if they managed to fit the huge teddy bears (Natasha won Maya a second one at the booth where she had to throw rings around bottlenecks) and six other relatively larger-sized stuffed animals in their Audi.

In her head, she could picture the sisters bicker on the best way to go about it. Two ex-assassins trying to fit fluffy teddy bears into their family-car. Any passerby must have thrown them weird or funny looks.

Anyway, they still weren't back since the carpark was a fairly long walk, so Katya and Maya went on alone, listening to Natasha's order not to win more stuffed animals. Instead, they focused on the rides.

And, of course, Maya found the biggest and fastest one. The one she thought Katya would be afraid of.

But Katya nodded, smiling down. ''Sure.''

''Are you not scared?'' Maya taunted her, smiling smugly. But if she wanted to get some sort of reaction, she shouldn't have chosen a spy for that.

''Are you?'' Katya countered easily, mirroring her expression. She never thought she would use the manipulation tactics she learned, on her own daughter as a joke.

Maya shook her head, smiling wider. ''Of course not.'' Nope, Katya couldn't fool her. So she laughed again and went to buy tickets for the both of them, once again ignoring how moody the employee was. ''You know, Yelena screamed in the haunted house.''

Katya turned to her in surprise, seeing her eyes glisten at the idea of having betrayed her own aunt for doing something embarrassing. ''She did?'' She scoffed when Maya nodded. ''She acts all brave and tough, but she gets scared of a few skeletons dressed as pirates.''

''Looks like we are braver than Mama and Lena.'' Maya led them to the queue, too excited to truly stand still in one spot, constantly moving.

''Looks like.'' Katya's heart jumped happily at the word 'Mama'. She was just so thrilled for Natasha. So happy that title finally belonged to her. ''So you're not gonna yell in my ear on this ride?''

''No promises,'' Maya smiled. She handled all the teasing like a pro. Her small hands fumbled with the zipper on her coat. She looked at her shoes when she admitted, ''I like that she is here. I like her a lot.''

''I know you do.'' Katya's voice softened as she brushed some hair behind Maya's ear that escaped her ponytail. ''Makes me happy to see how well you two get along.''

''I can see," she said shyly. "You are smiling a lot today.''

The comment almost made her blush. Maya could say such surprising things sometimes, showing once more how much attention she paid to everyone and everything around her. ''Yeah, well, being with my family, winning giant bears, and doing fun stuff like riding rollercoasters with my daughter makes me smile.''

Maya had no clue how to answer that. Now she was the one blushing, and she averted her eyes to the front of the row. ''Thank you for today. I haven't had this much fun in a while.''

Katya gently touched her cheek. ''You're welcome. Nat and I just want you to finally live a little, get you out of the house, let you see things, do things." Maya really did not have to thank them. But she'd probably always feel the need to. "Oh, and I love beating her ass in games.''