Chapter 9: Chavez Household

Maria Eleonor

As the carriage began to move I felt that a big part of me was being left with Gabriel and Gabriella. No, I almost felt empty.

I caressed my stomach while gazing at the carriage's window. Father on the other side was silently starring at me. I could feel the coldness within his eyes, I never thought that I would feel this coldness once more.

His coldness is different from the warmth I felt with Gabriella and my Husband. It makes me uneasy, I am not used to this anymore. A lot of bitter memories were slowly coming inside my head.

I took a glance at my father.

His appearance never changed. Hair as white as snow and face as cold as winter, Just like mine. Since I was a child until the bitter memory of my previous life's death, nothing changed regarding his appearance.

Perks of being powerful.

Every people has mana in our body. The more mana you possess, the slower your body goes older. Barely nobles could get powerful mana, most of the commoners have average mana in their bodies.

In my case, I took half of my father's mana since I am only his daughter to a commoner.

"Maria Eleonor" I flinched when my father called me. His voice is cold that I almost froze against my sit. I presume staying with Gabriella made me used to her warmth towards me.

I desire to run back. Ten days felt years.

"I fired them already" My father uttered. His face remained stiff and steady.

And it made me confused. I wanted to ask him but I remained dead silent.

"The maids and servant who talked ill of you," He said. "I fired them years ago. So, you don't have to worry" 

I clutched my fist as my eyes became colder. "So what?" I asked in a cold icy tone that could rival his. "I don't care about them. You don't have to mention anything about them" 

As soon as I said that, silence enveloped us for a moment. I did not bother to talk anymore. I am not comfortable talking with him. Even though he didn't participate in making my life hell in past, that doesn't change the fact that he did not care for me.

Looking at him only makes me remember how bitter my life is.

And dragging me back to that abyss makes my resentment towards him develop.

"Cheska and Ian assured me that they have pardoned you" He abruptly broke the silence. "They won't hold any grudges regarding to what you have done to Cheska years ago"

My brows twitched when he mentioned the current king and queen of the Ibanez kingdom. It's been a year since someone reminded me of those two. 

Why are you doing this father?

I have indeed forgotten my feelings towards Ian however I can't regard myself not to hold any bitterness towards them. It is correct that because of me their life becomes miserable however what could a mere human like me do? 

I hate them. It will take time to get rid of this bitterness.

A chuckle came out from my lips. "What is your purpose for bringing me back to Chavez Household, Father?" I asked in a mocking tone. "Why now? Why only now when I am already happy with my husband?!"

"Are you going to use me to gain power? What is your intention?" I gritted my teeth when I saw his face not bearing any reactions. He remained stiff like a block of ice. "Why do you have to bring me back to that hell?!"

I don't know where my strength came from, but this is my first time shouting like this to my father. The rage inside myself is slowly increasing, I am starting to be emotional. This is probably because of my pregnancy.

"Answer me!" I shouted as the coldness in me began to turn into a fiery rage. But my father did not answer me. He remained calm and silent. "Why are you even telling me useless things like this--"

I stopped talking when my father raised his hand. I thought he would hit me for shouting at him but to my surprise when he started to put it on my head and patted me gently. My anger suddenly extinguished when he did that.

His face remained stiff and cold but there is something different about him and I cannot identify what is it. 

Strangely, I lowered my head to let father pat my head more. 

Gabriella always pats my head whenever I felt sad or emotional. 

It reminds me of her.

"Stop shouting," My father said in a calm but cool tone. "Gabriella told me to not stress you out" I raised my head to gaze at my father's face. I don't know why but I can see the satisfaction in his eyes. 

"T-then stop reminding me those things" I turned my head to look outside the window again. I can't help but get confused with my attitude, This is not me! I am always composed and calm, why do I keep acting like my Husband?

"Assurance" My father suddenly spoke. "Those were the reasons why you ran away. I am telling you this, so you won't run away again."

His statement made my mouth shut.

Father, You are confusing me...

•••

"We greet Your Grace and the Young Miss!" The maids and servant's greeted us as soon as we arrived at the Chavez Household.  

The whole Residency was different from my memory! It has a different ambiance from what I remember. "Maria Eleonor" I heard my father's calm voice. His hands were extending into mine as if he is asking to escort me down the carriage. 

I quickly ignored him and get myself out of that carriage myself. 

"Young miss..." I heard Allan uttered.

I gave My Father and Allan an Icy glare. "I can handle myself," I said.

"But the miss is pregnant" Allan whispered that only me and my father could hear. "We promised to Lady Gabriella that we will take care of you. One wrong step could lead to..."

"Enough" I quickly retorted him. "I apologize, Father. I will accept it next time" I blankly spoke.

Father remained in silence, but his face doesn't show any reactions. "I want to rest, Please take me to my room," I said as I walked away from them.

"No" I heard Father suddenly spoke. I stopped walking away 

"You should eat first, you must not starve my grandchild"