Chapter 22: Don't Marry!

I carefully supported Maria to sit on a comfortable chair. Selena who was here to assist me remained standing when I also seat down.

"Please leave us," Maria motioned her hands as she asked the other servants to leave. They seemed reluctant at first but they quickly obeyed Maria. 

I took my teacup from the table to take a sip. "Gabriel cannot come with me because of a family meeting," I said as I let a soft chuckle. "My brother sulked for the whole night because of this,"

Maria's face dropped when she heard about it. She is probably waiting for my brother...

"I miss him," She uttered. "Although it's been only days since we departed, it really feels like years. It's a good thing that Gabriella made her visitation today, It's enough. At least, I know that my husband will really come for me." 

"Don't ever doubt us, Maria. We are your family, we will take you back no matter what," I replied with a soft smile. "Anyway, I know that the Duke assured us that you are okay, but I wanted to ask you. How are you? Are you comfortable here?"

Maria suddenly snorted. "Weird, they are weird. Especially my Father," Maria stated as if she suddenly remembered something. "I can't understand them at all."

"Oh? How weird?" I asked with a curious tone.

"Probably below Lady Gabriella's weirdness," Selena suddenly replied. I glared at her but she only smiled at me.

Well...

Can't refute her...

She's probably telling the truth...

"You're too rude for a 'Lady in waiting' Selena," Maria raised her brows at Selena. "How come that you become Gabriella's servant again? Gabriella should really fire you and bring you back to Leonardo."

"That won't happen, I am too useful for Lady Gabriella, Right My Lady?" Selena asked in a mischievous tone.

I facepalmed when Selena said that. The truth is if I can, I will really throw her back to Leonardo. However, I can't do that because she is indeed useful here.

"Indeed," I let out a sigh. Maria glanced at me with an indifferent look on her face. "It's also the reason why I asked her to come with me."

"So, y-you're really choosing her over me?" Maria asked me. My eyes went wide when tears formed on her eyes. 

Huh?

"I don't! What the..." I started to panic when the tears on her face did not cease. I started to pat her head but she's not stopping. "Don't cry, why are you crying? I didn't choose Selena over you!" I said.

What the... She's crying! She's crying!

Why's she crying?

Pregnancy Hormones?

I glanced at Selena who was looking at me with a 'You're dead' look. "I'm out of this, My Lady" then she suddenly said while taking a step back. I was about to grab her, however, I failed to do that because she's fast. "My Lady made her cry for choosing me," Selena said with a grin. "I know I'm important~"

This fox! You're only making the situation worst! You're a bully!

I gritted my teeth as I glared at Selena. 

I will really ask Leonardo to cut her salary!

"Shhh, Don't cry Maria, it's not what I mean alright?" I said while patting her head. "Don't worry, Selena's going home soon. I will stay here for tonight. I heard that there was a festival tomorrow. I will roam at your white dad--- I-I mean Duke's duchy"