Chapter 11: Children Of Antonio

Gabriella

"I understand but pardon me. What made you choose this decision, Gabriel?" Leonardo asked my brother after Gabriel revealed our agenda to him. "The Velasquez siblings are someone who wants freedom not a responsibility, that's the reason why the both you are keeping a low profile despite your achievements"

I rolled my eyes. 

Leonardo's acting like he doesn't have the hint. The master of merchants is an intelligent man, I am sure that he already grasp our intention. It makes me want to hit his head.

I crossed my legs "What do you think?" 

A smile appeared on Leonardo's face. "Of course I have a hint about your intentions. It is probably connected to the incident yesterday. But I can't exactly point out" 

"Good thing that you're still not dumb" I snorted. 

"Sister..." Brother warned me. I frowned. Gabriel glanced at Leonardo with a serious face. "To answer your question. It is to formally propose to the Duke's daughter"

Leonardo rose from his seat "Did I heard it right?" He asked with a surprised face. "You can propose to the Duke's daughter? And you used your original family's background to make him agree?"

"Why? what's wrong?" I asked.

Leonardo laughed loudly while looking at me. "What type of bizarre things did you do to convince the duke. Gabriella?" The merchants laughed louder.

Ugh, so, he finds out that it was me who talked to the duke. 

Sometimes Intelligence is scary.

"The only bold person who can do that is definitely Gabriella. If it was Gabriel who talked to the Duke I am sure that your brother will just take his lover to run away, It is indeed that Gabriel is a rational thinker but when it comes to his Maria Eleonor..."

"That's true! HAHA!" I replied.

"I can't deny" Gabriel sighs as he turned away his head.

"Well, As far as I know, the Duke is not the type of a person to be easily talked to, and we are talking about his only daughter. It even took me at least four months to make an agreement with him. So what type of bizarre things did you do, Gabriella?" 

I frowned. "None of your business, Merchant"

In fact, I don't even know how I made him agree to let my brother marry his daughter under the conditions I made. 

I indeed mention that we are the illegitimate child of Marquiss Antonio to Duke Evan but aren't a normal noble would suspect my words if I did not even present any evidence? 

What made the duke accept my proposal? Is it because Maria is pregnant? As far as I know, the duke doesn't even care for his reputation and he is wealthy to support his daughter and grandchild without Gabriel. It means that can't be the reason.

Could it be his 'debt'?

"So, Would you lend us your hands?" Brother suddenly asked.

Debt? Impossible, I must not overthink.

"Of course. After all, It's our family's pleasure, My Lord."

I let out a long sigh before I stand up. "Very well" I spoke "Anyway, send our regards to Auntie Nana. We will visit them soon" 

"That will be lovely"

My brother was about to stand up but someone violently opened the door. 

A woman with ocean blue hair suddenly entered. "Y-you're a daughter of a Marquis?" Melissa asked me. "I knew it! That's why you're so elegant!"

"..."

"Pffft"

I heard Leonardo and my brother laughed at that statement.

Damn it, Which part of me was elegant?

•••••

Before Melissa could propose a marriage proposal to me, I and my brother quickly left that place to go home. Our only purpose is to inform Leonardo and ask about his connection to the duke. We're planning to go to the Marquess tomorrow.

As much as possible, we want to finish this sooner.

Rumors spread like a wildfire. If they find out that Maria conceived a child out of wedlock, Maria's reputation will be worsened.

Of course, Duke Evan does not care about reputation. I and my brother doesn't care about it either. However, we are not sure about Maria, especially now that she's pregnant.

Pregnant women are sensitive.

And good rumors are one of the keys to a peaceful life... Well maybe?

"Brother..." I called Gabriel outside. I saw him looking at a ring in his hand. "Get in, Little rascal," I said.  "Dinner's ready, don't blame me if you get hungry later"

Gabriel didn't bother to reply. He kissed the ring on his finger before he stands up. 

A lovesick fool.

I know someone who used to be like this.

I immediately went to the dining room. My eyes suddenly went to Maria's usual seat. I quickly shook my head as I sat on my chair.

Maria must be lonely now. I wish the cookies that I gave to her will cheer her up a little.

I came back to my senses when Gabriel suddenly sat on his chair. "Damn, you surprised me," I frowned. 

Gabriel raised his brows at me. "You're just pre-occupied"

"Says the one who misses his lovely wife" I replied. 

He didn't reply. Gabriel suddenly focused on eating.

"Hey, aren't you going to ask me something?" I approached him again. Gabriel stops eating before glancing at me "About our family. Like why did I choose to run away?"

"I don't have to ask you" My brother replied to me. "You will tell it to me. Right?"

"HAH! You cheeky little rascal!" I puffed my cheeks "You weren't like that when we are younger, you used to be so curious!"

"I know" Gabriel shrugs off his shoulder. "And whenever I ask you about our parents, you will only shut your mouth, so I realized that this matter is something that makes you uncomfortable" 

On the other side. My little bro is really considerate.

"If it's not really important, you don't have to tell me," Brother spoke. "After all, I know that you did that for me. Right?"

I bowed my head as I tried to hide my smile.

He's right, It's not like I can tell him that I know the future that awaits us.

But...

"How about our parents? Aren't you curious about them?" I asked.

"Sister is Idiot" Brother suddenly said. "Have you forgot that you used to teach me things about those aristocrats? I know the history of Marquis Antonio's family." Gabriel let out a chuckle as he placed his spoon and fork beside his plate.

"Mikhail Antonio, the Idiot who divorced his wife only to believe a nonsense rumor."