Chapter 25: PAK! PAK!

PAK! PAK!

7:00 am, I just woke up from my dearest slumber, I combed my hair, changed my clothes, I was ready to cook for Maria, and yet the first thing that I saw this morning was Maria, slapping her father in the dining room.

TWICE!

At first, I was dumbfounded, but when I realized what just happened I didn't do anything. The Duke and I had an agreement that he will let Maria slap him this morning. It also looks like he already told her that the King will come today.

"Maria..." I uttered. I winced when I saw the red palm mark on the White Duke's face, there was a bruise on it. I unconsciously touched my cheeks.

I can feel the sting by just looking at it. Looks like Maria's slap is really worse than a punch.

Maria glanced at her father with a blank and icy stare. I can feel the tension between Maria and her father. Her lips turned into a curve. "Are you even a human?" she asked with a mocking tone. "I can see that you can't really feel anything," she said in an icy tone.

The Duke's face was still calm. It doesn't show any expression nor reaction. It feels like staring at a statue that can breathe.

But his body movements can't fool me. 

I glanced at his hands behind his back and it was trembling but it's only a little, it is actually unnoticeable unless you focused on it. 

It stings, was it Duke? I bet Maria didn't hold back.

Maria was about to slap him again, but she suddenly holds back and averted her gaze. She placed her hands on her stomach. Her hands were also trembling. "Do anything that you want, I don't care about the King," She uttered.

"I don't care about anything in this household or anything about your decision. Just do everything that you want, I won't be staying here that long anyway," She coldly said, "Just do anything as usual. Do not care about me."

She pushed away from the Duke and turned her back on him. She suddenly stopped when she saw me but she didn't say anything.

I gave her a warm smile.

"Have you had breakfast?" I asked. She glanced at me and carefully shook her head. "Okay, go to your room and I'll ask them to send something for you. I will bake you some cookies later," I said.

I went in her direction and gently patted her head. "Well done, Maria," I uttered.

A small smile appeared on her face. "Thank you," she said. Maria immediately went to her room. A servant followed her which made me breathe in relief.

At this moment, Maria needs time alone to think.

I glanced at the man who's still standing at the Dining Hall. He was currently touching his swollen cheeks and his face is slightly wincing.

"Your Grace..." Allan, the knight uttered.

The knight glanced at me 

"It hurts, right?" I asked the Duke. "I can't believe that His Grace can hold the sting," I joked to make the atmosphere lighter., but I failed. Instead, I receive a deadly glare from Sir Allan.

Awkward...

I scratched my cheeks as I glanced at the knight. "Sir Allan, do you any have first aid? Please bring it here." I asked him. Allan pulled away from his glare at me as he nodded his head.

Tch, this knight is really ugh.

He looks like a mother-in-law telling a girl to back off his son.