Chapter 27: Deepest Regret

"I guess I'll carry this regret in this lifetime" Maria uttered to herself. Her eyes were dull and there was a gloomy atmosphere around her. The white-haired woman was appreciating the silence in her room.

"Meow."

Her eyes went to the cat on her lap, her lips curve into a smile when she saw her resemblance to the cat. The cat purred when Maria comb its fur. "I never thought that you are the cat of my father," she said.

"Meow."

"I guess you can understand me," Maria jested, but her expression is telling the opposite.

"Meow," the cat only replied.

The cat jumped away from her and went to the window. "You're going?" Maria asked. There was a disappointment written in her eyes, her supposed to be a companion for today will leave her. "Good...bye..."

The cat stared at Maria for a while before leaping to the window. The cat looks reluctant but it didn't stop her to leave. When the cat disappeared from her sight, Maria took a deep breath. Her eyes went to her palm as she remembered what happened a while ago.

She slapped her father.

Twice.

Her emotions succumb to her rationality when her father told her that the King will come today. Although her father told him that she can slap him in his face, that doesn't mean that she should've done that. 

It was wrong. How can she slap her father if he can't stop something inevitable?

In her head, that anger is meaningless. It is true that she still has some grudges for the king but compared to things that she did to him and to Cheska...

Maria shook her head.

She knows that she doesn't have any right to hold these grudges to both of them, but how can she stop it? She's just a human.

People in her previous life didn't title her as 'The Most Wicked Of all' for nothing. It has a deep reason because she was truly wicked. Her past nicknames aren't just for a show, and there was this thing that she regretted the most.

Her eyes dropped to her belly and smiled sadly. "Do I really deserve you?" She asked while touching her stomach, she was talking to her baby. Tears of sadness were forming in her eyes. "I know that I'm a changed person now, but my sins are too heavy to forget..."

"Tell me," She paused. "Do I really deserve Gabriella and my husband?" A tear dropped from her eyes. "How can Gabriel love a person like me?" She uttered. "How can he understand me?"

Silence only answered her question. Maria gripped her hair.

Her eyes keep staring in her belly. "What if you will become the price of my deepest regret?" She asked. Tears keep falling from her eyes like a waterfall, and when she can't finally stop her emotions, she placed her hands in her face and sobbed like a lonely child in the corner. 

Maria's Deepest regret was something that was considered 'Unforgivable' in anyone's opinion. Her regret was something that she won't be able to erase in her mind because it was greater than the traumatic experience of death in her previous life.

With her hands...

And with her strength...

She killed a life.

An innocent life.

When her father told her that the King will come to their manor, she felt angry. She's angry because her father was doing something that she doesn't like, but when her father mentioned the 'Crown Prince' in her face, her bitter emotion flooded like a storm inside of her.