Chapter 44: Reminiscence

"Marriage... decree."

Evan mumbled when he recalled his conversation with the young prince. He closed his eyes when he felt the cold breeze passing through him. His lips curved into a small bitter smile.

'I'll have to refuse your reward, young prince.'

'Why?'

He didn't answer.

Because.

"Gabriella will probably refuse," the Duke mumbled as he opened his eyes. "How can she marry a man as old as her father?" He mumbled. "The renowned cold Duke, who his own daughter hated."

A small chuckle appeared on his stoic face when he remembered something. "Antonio Mikhail might collapse if that ever happened," he said as he shook his head. "He would never let that happen."

Having Gabriella as his wife... 

...Is a warm dream.

A warm dream that wasn't meant for a cold person like him.

"It's time to go, Ravena." The Duke's crystal blue orbs went to a majestic white horse waiting for him at the stable. The horse's ears went forward as soon as she heard her master. "Yes, it's time to go," he said as he calmly brush its hair. 

Evan's expression softened when Ravena rested her head on him, it only means that Ravena is showing her affection to his master. Ravena is Evan's favorite horse, she always travels with him whenever he has some expedition ordered by the king.

"Travelling...." Evan mumbled.

He remembered the first day that he used  Ravena to travel with him.

••••••••••

Five years ago on a one bright day, the Duke of Chavez Duchy has yet to change his life for eternity.

"Hair as white as snow, face as cold as winter," Butler Jonas, one of the most loyal subjects of The Duke reported to Evan. The old man carefully glanced at his master. "We've confirmed it, My Lord, we traced Lady Maria's whereabouts in this part region in the countryside."

Butler Jonas pointed at the map. He continued to report the information that he gathered to Evan who had been observing him. 

"It seems like Lady Maria was tricked by a skilled swindler and took her to the countryside, we don't know their intention yet...." Butler Jonas told to the Duke. "Shall I ask Your knight, Sir Allan, to go and get Lady Maria?"

Evan's cold and dry eyes went to the map that was placed on the table.

He stand up as he motioned his hand on his butler.

"I'll go on my own," Evan replied as he opened the small box on his table. 

Inside of that box was a magic ring that could disguise the snow-white traits of the Duke. After wearing the ring, his hair turned brown and his clothes changed into a commoner's clothes. 

Evan looked different with brown hair, but no one would be able to deny that his looks are still top-tier.

"I'll ready the carriag---"

"No," Evan, the Duke of Chavez Duchy interfered with his butler. "Bring me the fastest and strongest horse from the stable."

Butler Jonas, who heard the instruction of his Lord bowed his head, "Yes, My Lord. I'll do as you wish." 

Evan nodded his head as he glanced at the window in his office. 

"By the way my lord," Butler Jonas suddenly said in a low tone, the butler's eyes became serious as he cleared his throat. "I've listed the names of the pests who entered our manor. What shall we do to them?"