Chapter 52: The Cold Duke

Days have passed since the day that the wicked Lady of Chavez was decapitated in front of Ibanez and its people. The Lady was the talk of the town, and all of her wicked deeds were exposed to the people of Ibanez.

Maria Eleonor's head was hanging at the gates of the Kingdom.

They couldn't understand it.

How could a Great Duke like Evan have a daughter like her? Perhaps it was because that child was tainted with her mother's blood. 

People only cared about the juicy news and rumors about the decapitated Lady.

She deserved it, that's what they all thought.

A woman in a black robe stared above the gates of the Ibanez kingdom. Her midnight eyes were staring at the decapitated head of the Lady named Maria Eleonor. Standing beside her was a man who was her brother.

She knew that this was part of the Novel's plot, but seeing this gruesome scene was a little terrifying for her.

If she did not escape on the day that she remembered her previous life and the original story, she will also end up dead with her little brother. She knows that the Lady whose head was hanging to the gates was the Villainess of this world, but she thought that she was a little pitiful.

"Gabriel, you look sad, do you know that woman?" Gabriella asked her brother.

"I met her days ago..." Her brother replied in a monotonous voice. "She's quite pitiful."

"That's a criminal, Gabriel," Gabriella told him. "Why do you find her pitiful?" She asked.

"You also find her pitiful, you idiot."

Gabriella became silent as she took a deep sigh. After all, her brother is correct, she felt pity for the young Villainess...

She felt pity for her despite knowing the terrible things that she has done to the female lead. Her bullying was terrible enough to cause trauma for Cheska, the female lead. Maria's Punishment won't be able to erase those traumas for Cheska.

Can you imagine the pain of losing your child? The female lead must've been restless, terrified, and distressed after losing her child. According to the novel 'You Shall Pay' when Maria accidentally killed Cheska's child, she became depressed, she lost her smile, and she can't even laugh.

Even if Cheska and Ian had a happy ending, she cannot completely live happily remembering the child that she could have.

But Gabriella felt also felt pity for Maria Eleonor because she knew that the villainess is a broken child. Somehow, Gabriella felt responsible for Maria Eleonor's character.

Gabriella knew the story, Gabriella understood that Maria was not completely evil.

If she did try to change Maria Eleonor's fate that day, Gabriella wonders if she could've changed Maria Eleonor. Gabriella met Maria Eleonor years ago, and she realize that Villainess was a broken soul. She offered the Villainess a hand to run away from her home.

But Gabriella hesitated that day...

If she can also change Maria Eleonor's fate as the Villainess that day... 

What will happen?

Gabriella does not know the answer, she had already missed the very regrettable chance.

And the fact that she could've saved Cheska and Ian's child and changed the Villainess made her a little regretful. For a person who knows something and could've changed something, Gabriella felt guilty.

"She's a criminal, but this kind of death is too humiliating for that woman. I wonder if her father ever had a thought of retrieving his daughter's corpse," Gabriella mumbled with a shrug. "That old Duke is such a scummy father."