Chapter 54: Treason

"You've got to be kidding me," Gabriella mumbled while peeking at the man who was sitting at a round table with her brother. Gabriella was hiding behind the wall while staring at Evan, the Duke of Chavez. "No way, is he really the Duke?"

Gabriella mumbled while she covered her mouth in shock. Hair as white as snow and a face as cold as winter was the basic description of the Duke of Chavez.

If the author of the novel 'You Shall Pay' mentioned that mana can keep a person looking younger, she wouldn't be this surprised! Who would have thought that the big villain looked so young and handsome?

"So, he wasn't kidding when he said he's 44?" Gabriella mumbled while slapping her cheeks. "I'm so stupid, why I didn't know the basic principles of magic? Good thing that I didn't speak badly about him when I was talking with him that day."

Today, Gabriella realized that the person that she talked with in front of the gate of Ibanez Kingdom, was actually the Duke! Maria Eleonor's father! Because of this, Gabriella doesn't know if she could face Evan ever again.

I'm already an old woman but how could I be so stupid?

"Pardon my sister's behavior, she's not used to talking to people like you," Gabriel suddenly mumbled before glancing in Gabriella's direction. "She's usually not like this, she's just..."

"Stop talking will you?!" Gabriella shouted with a frown. "I'm just shocked, okay? Just shocked! I didn't know that the Duke would actually look younger, and recently----- Woah! Woah! Calm down, sir Knight!"

Gabriella shouted when a chocolate-haired knight suddenly stanced himself as if he was ready to pull out his sword. Fortunately, the Duke quickly motioned his hand to stop the knight.

"Allan, that's enough," The Duke warned him.

"That Woman is being disrespectful. Do not forget that His Grace is still the Great Duke of Chavez, you are not in the position to disrespect the Duke!"

BLAGG--

My eyes went to Gabriel who had an obvious frown on his forehead. He glared at the Chocolate-haired knight as he clenched his fist. "If this is how you are going to treat us, I better leave with my sister."

"Gabriel---"

"I apologize for my Knight's behavior," The Duke spoke. Contrary to his words, his expression didn't seem to be apologetic either, but it was enough to calm Gabriel. The Duke coldly glanced at his Knight. "Get out of here, Allan."

"But Your Grace--"

"Leave," The Duke told him.

Allan, who heard the order of his master chose to obey. He left the office with a dejected face.

Gabriella who saw the Knight's reaction shrugged her shoulders before glancing at her Brother. "You are truly troublesome," Gabriel mouthed at her.

Gabriella showed him a peace sign before sitting beside her brother.

To change the atmosphere of the room, Gabriel decided to start the discussion with the Duke. Gabriella listens carefully to the conversation between the Duke and his Brother.

As soon as they touched on the topic of rebellion, the atmosphere became heavier.

But for some reason, Gabriella couldn't focus, nor she could talk.

...

.....

Because the Duke was intently staring at her.

••••••••••

Gabriella took a deep sigh while reflecting on her uncanny behavior towards the Duke at the Gates of Ibanez Kingdom. She's shameless but she also knows how to be embarrassed.