Chapter 37: A Mission

"Give him to me," the Duke told me. My mouth parted when he said that. I glanced at Lulu who is also looking at the Duke. "We will talk," he told me. At first, I hesitated, but the child in my arms looks like he wanted that 'talk'.

"A-are you sure about it?" I asked them both. "And why are you saying that I am not a witch?" 

The child in my arms trembled when I asked the Duke that question. I quickly hushed him down while patting his back. "Okay, okay, I won't mention that ugly witch."

COUGH COUGH.

I immediately turned my head in Evan's direction when I heard him cough. He closed his eyes for a while. He glanced at me before averting his gaze. "You're pretty, Even in man's clothing," He said.

My eyes went wide as I suddenly felt that my cheeks became hot.

DARN IT, WHAT'S WITH THAT SUDDEN ATTACK?!

I mean-- I know I'm pretty and I've been praised by him in the past, but why do you have to attack me now?!

I went back to myself when Lulu jumped out of my arms. He immediately went to the Duke and pulled him into the chair and made his seat there. I didn't bother to tell a word and I just watch them there.

I don't know if the two of them are really talking, but they are staring at each other's eyes intensely as if they are having a conversation in their minds.

It's impossible, Lulu is still a child. He can't have that ability yet.

But who knows?

A witch is after him anyway.

After a minute, I suddenly felt dumb when the two people shook their hands with each other. It feels like they have signed an agreement. It looks cute tho, especially my son Lulu. His hand is too small for the Duke's hand.

Lulu jumped out of the chair. "If you broke the agreement I will tell the witch," he said before running in the direction of the door. He suddenly hummed a familiar song which made me confused.

London bridge, wut?

Ahehe, it's the nursery rhyme that I used to sing for my brother when he was a kid. He doesn't like twinkle twinkle that's why 'London Bridge' is his childhood nursery rhyme. 

Never mind, Gabriel probably taught it to Lulu. 

"Lulu, where are you going?" I asked him. 

Lulu's body stiffened before he glanced at me. "Ask uncle to get Cookies and milk," he only replied then he run away. "Bye-bye." Before I could ask him a question, he suddenly vanished. 

Cookies eh?

Sometimes I think that Lulu likes Cookies than me, his Mama.

But anyway, what did the two talk about? I curiously glanced at the Duke who was left in my room. it is about the witch who made my little Lulu scared?

It looks like the two of them reconciled.

"I'm sorry for not replying to your letters," The Duke suddenly uttered while staring directly at me. "A problem occurred, and His Majesty, the King wanted me to solve it right away," He explained. I noticed that his stiff face drooped while saying those words.

Isn't it confidential? Why are you even telling me this?

Nevermind.

"How about Maria? How is she? She's not replying to my letters. Did something happen to her?" I asked him with a worried tone. His eyes staggered for a moment as if he is hesitating to tell me something. "Is there a problem?"