rather strange

Niall and Audrey:

album release week, aka covid19 week, aka the week Audrey has to go to the doctor all week for special testing etc. there's a lot going on. She has to drive into the office every morning by a certain time which is annoying so she wakes up before Niall does, barely having time to feed and dress herself (not that she cares because she just doesn't eat in the morning) before she puts Milo's harness on, loading him into the car and commuting an hour.

She also starts on a new migraine med, one she takes every night. It's off to a rocky start to say the least. It doesn't help that she's already exhausted from the testing and the driving and the lack of sleep combined- then she takes this new pill and something rather strange and scary happens.

Niall is in the kitchen when he hears Milo's low, worried whine, the dogs tail thumping on the ground. Audrey is mumbling in her sleep on the couch, her body twitching every few seconds. Her eyes are almost half open, like she's trying to wake herself up.

"Aud?" Niall turns the stove off to go check on her. His heart slams to the front of his chest at the sight of her: brows furrowed, cheeks flushed as she continues to speak incoherently, arms shaking at her sides and hair sticking to her forehead.

He immediately tried to recall her routine for the day and any changes, the only thing sticking out being something about a new medication. It seemed that she wasn't in any cardiac distress, yet. He dialed the doctors personal number.

"Hey, everything ok?" Robby answered on the first ring.

"She fell asleep on the couch but she's mumbling and shaking and her cheeks are flushed." Niall said in one breath, feeling her forehead and letting out a breath when he didn't feel a temperature. There was a rustling on the other end, the doctor shuffling through notes to find his on Audrey from that day.

"She started a new one today." Robby squinted, trying to read his own handwriting. Niall bit his lip. "[] for her migraines. Shes supposed to build it up so she would've started with one tonight and taken it as soon as she got home." He looked at his watch. "When did she fall asleep?" Niall tugged on his hair, glancing at the clock on the wall.

"Around 9:30?" He guessed, surge of guilt hitting him because he had been doing a livestream. He should've been paying attention.

The doctor frowned, "the side effects include drowsiness, dry mouth, [other mildly concerning]."

"She's not seizing, is she?" The boy wondered, his worried blue eyes on her moving figure.

"No, you'd know if she was seizing. Signs of cardiac distress?"

"None yet."

"Ok, definitely watch for that. Make sure she drinks plenty of water."

"Should I wake her up?"

"You can..." the doctor trailed off, frowning. "Why?"

"It's like she's trying to wake herself up." Niall shrugged, brushing the hair out of her eyes. It was Robby's turn to nod.

"Yes. Wake her up and calm her down. Let me know if anything else happens, ok?"

"Got it. Thanks, Robby."

"No problem, Niall."

He hung up and set his phone down before leaning over her.

"Audrey," he touched her shoulder and her body followed his hand. "Come on, petal. wake up for me."

She could hear him, see him- nearly smell him for gods sake- why couldn't she get to him? It was like she was outside of herself in the dream- and she knew it was a dream. Her breathing quickened, chest tightening.

"Audrey," he shook her gently and her eyes flew open, body shuddering as she sat up, hot pins in her chest. Her head is spinning, hands finding Niall's as his other was on her back. Tears clouded her eyes as she tried to control her breathing. Niall was biting his lip, hand rubbing slow, soothing circles on her back.

"You're ok, its all ok." He murmured, lips pressed to her shoulder. The color in her face was slowly going back to normal, both hands clutching Niall's in a death grip.

In through the nose, out through the mouth; they began breathing in sync, her body shaking less as she leaned into him, cheeks wet.

"Alright now, petal?" His lips moved against her ear and she squeezed her eyes shut, pressing her face further into his shoulder. Another deep breath followed by a weak nod.

"Alright," her voice is just above a whisper and he has to tilt his head to catch it.

"Gave me a scare." He mumbled.