puzzled

OBX storyline:

JJ runs out of toothpaste and panics so he goes over to see if they have any except Sophie is still asleep and jake lets him in and then they start playing video games or a board game because jake is a lil nerd or a fucking puzzle!
And JJ can't tell the kid no because he let him in to use his toothpaste...he's hopelessly engrossed in the 500 piece puzzle when Sophie wakes up and literally stumbles into the kitchen with no pants on looking for caffeine, because Jake made a pot of tea just like she showed him how.

"J? You make tea?" Her hair is sticking up in every direction and she bumps into the counter because there's a yawn ripping through her and she can't stop rubbing her eyes. Jake shot up from the kitchen table, all but barreling into her side. Her arms hug him to her and she blinks, grinning down at him.

"I made the orange cinnamon tea! And I filled the basket halfway! And I set the timer like you said to!" He jumped with every detail. She was about to tell him that he was perfect when she felt a second pair of eyes on her.

JJ had been holding the same puzzle piece in midair for maybe a minute and a half now just watching their moment. He was more distracted by the fact that Sophie wasn't wearing any pants, the giant T-shirt covering most of her thighs. Her wild hair made him smile. Jake saw her looking at the older boy and decided to explain. "Jj was out of toothpaste and I said he could use ours. He's not very good at puzzles, though." Sophie was playing with her brother's golden curls, her cheeks pink as she kept glancing at the boy sitting at her kitchen table. He waved the piece in his hand at them, making a face.

"hey, this is the biggest puzzle I've ever seen, okay. I'm a little overwhelmed." She rolled her eyes, the smell of her favorite tea floating past her nose making her remember what she'd rolled out of bed for.

"Bubba, wanna get me a mug for my tea?" Jake nodded, scrambling onto the stool before hopping onto the counter. Sophie's eyes widened and she quickly stood behind him in case he fell. "Yes, you can pick for me." She answered his question before he could answer it and he made an excited noise, hands reaching for the mug with the shark in it. "I'll put it on the table and you can pour me some?" She took the mug out of his hands, ready for his arms to wrap around her neck. he clung to her as she lifted him off the counter and they made their way to the table. Jj moved the part of the puzzle he'd put together already to one side of the table, pushing the pot of tea towards Jake's outstretched hands. Sophie held the mug with both her hands, watching her little brother.

"It's hot," he said, hands not even touching the pot yet. "Jj can you help me, please?" He turned his hopeful eyes onto the older boy, pouting just a bit.

"Of course, I can, little man."