strawberry patch

Obx storyline:

Strawberry patch. A whole ass patch. There are little bridges in between the rows that JJ helped build. It was his and Jake's project for the weekend. Sophie worked on clearing the area and adding in soil. They go to the hardware store together to get some tools, more soil, and the strawberry starts.

So many strawberries.

JJ was starting to sense that this wasn't just a strawberry patch. He was being dragged down almost every aisle by the little blond boy, who was on a mission to get something pretty to put in the garden but it had to be something that Sophie would like, too.

"So do y'all just really like strawberries?" JJ asked, picking up a glass figure for the boy. Jake began to nod but when he saw the statue he shook his head.

"We do really like strawberries." The older boy sensed a but and raised a brow, gesturing for him to keep talking. "It's kinda hard to explain, actually." Jake tugged on his curls. "Ask Sophie if you really wanna know."

"Know what?" She'd rolled up behind them, the shopping cart already almost full of garden supplies. Both boys whirled around, JJ panicking and holding the figure behind his back. Sophie narrowed her eyes at him, catching Jake as he flew into her side. She easily lifted him into her arms and planted a soft kiss on his cheek. "What are you boys up to?" her brother clung to her neck, legs secured around her waist.

"Nothing," he mumbled into her hair. JJ backed away, successfully placing the statue on a shelf before making his way to the cart. He held the front of it, beginning to walk down the aisle.

"Nothin' much, Soph." "If you say so..." she followed him as they headed for checkout.

Whatever it was it had taken quite a toll on Jake for he refused to let go of Sophie once they got to the car. He'd even started sniffling when she tried to put him down.

JJ has no trouble driving, his gaze constantly on the two of them in the rear view mirror. Neither were wearing a seatbelt, Sophie sitting with her back against the side of the backseat, Jake still wrapped around her torso. Her cheek rested against his head, whispering sweet nothings to him as her fingers tangled in his curls, other hand rubbing soothing circles on his back.

He's calmed down by the time they get home and helps unload the car no problem. Sophie makes him a grilled cheese sandwich and puts on his favorite cartoon.

"We do really like strawberries." She set a sandwich in front of JJ, taking a seat next to him on the counter. He shrugged.

"I mean...delicious berries." Sophie blew out a breath and began chewing on her lip.

"It's um..." JJ could tell she was debating whether or not to tell him something. He wanted to hold her hand, comfort her somehow. He scooted close enough that their legs barely touched.
She blinked, feeling the warmth from the new proximity almost immediately, the corners of her mouth tugging up. "It's our safe place." She said finally, daring a glance over at him. His blue eyes were fixed on her. "Whenever rick has too much to drink or Dianne takes too many pills...he knows where to go when the yelling starts."
Her eyes were suddenly wet as she recalled all the times she'd seen jake sneaking out the back door, tears rolling down his cheeks as he looked back at her, helplessly watching their parents going after his big sister. "That's where he waits for me."